BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you a funny story about a man named Morrie. Weeks back, I was speaking with Morrie about his sponsorship of the Havoc in the Hills event and working out details with him.

Toward the end of the conversation he asked me how I was liking my Roll-X. I told him I was still very happy with it, it was holding up well and remarked at how many people ask me about it.

He mentioned the Roll-X had been slightly redesigned. He went on to tell me about the various tweaks, most importantly being the tailgate edge weather strip.

That's cool, I thought, and I told him I would keep an eye out for pictures of the new cover on the forum.

Fast forward to this past week and this is where I realized I wouldn't have to settle for pictures of the new cover.

I walked downstairs Wednesday morning on my way to get my morning coffee and found a large box sitting in the lobby of my apartment building. It was a BAK Roll-X.

My initial reaction was that one of my neighbors had ordered a Roll-X. Being nosy, I checked the shipping label to see whose it was and saw my name on the box. :mfr_omg:

Still confused and caffeine deprived, I left the box and continued out to my truck. I waited a little while because it was still very early on the West Coast at that point (Morrie is out of CA) and I called Morrie to see why I had a Roll-X sitting in my lobby.

He said he just wanted me to have the "new" Roll-X and decided to sent it to me *FREE OF CHARGE*. I didn't know what to say...I never expressed any unhappiness with my "old" Roll-X so I still wondered why he felt compelled to send me another one lol.

All he asked was that I share my honest thoughts with him and the forum. So, if you're still reading that's what I will do! Now, before we get too far for the sake of 100% transparency... there is a little special treatment going on here and as such I wouldn't expect a Roll-X to show up on your doorstep. That being said, I'm not complaining and I'm happy to help Morrie out with another short write-up:

The 3 main differences that I noticed with the new cover are:

1. The bulkhead side mounting plate on the rail is a bit longer and now allows you to secure the cover with 2 bolts with locking washers and nuts. Previously, there was 1 bolt that secured with a knob.

roll-xrail_zpsacf09dd0.jpg

OLD:

DSC00766_zps5f31128a.jpg

NEW:

DSC00968_zps60de81c4.jpg

2. The exposed weather strip "lip" on the tailgate edge has been removed in lieu of an interior foam weather strip that seals against the inside of the tailgate.

OLD:

DSC00802_zps79296122.jpg

NEW:

DSC00964_zps51475cc2.jpg

DSC00969_zpsed8ce0e6.jpg

3. The slam latch catch plate has a wing nut instead of a knob for adjustment. This is probably a functional change due to the new weather strip because the knob would get in the way of the foam strip.

roll-x-rail-2_zps6fadff61.jpg

MORE:

DSC00966_zpsbf28f7f9.jpg

DSC00963_zps499dd1f1.jpg

DSC00970_zpsb9ca0dc1.jpg

Overall, the changes to the rail don't do much for me but I definitely like the look and functionality of the new tailgate weatherstripping. The change allows the cover to sit more flush to the tailgate and also allows you to open and close the tailgate without having to open the Roll-X. Thanks again Morrie, you truly are the MAN!!!

Hey man I just installed my new one. I had the old one, and correct me if I'm wrong, but now at the back there is a tiny gap between the end of the cover and the top of the tailgate to where it used to sit on top of the tailgate correct? I was a bit worried cause I saw that, but it looks like yours has it too.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Hey man I just installed my new one. I had the old one, and correct me if I'm wrong, but now at the back there is a tiny gap between the end of the cover and the top of the tailgate to where it used to sit on top of the tailgate correct? I was a bit worried cause I saw that, but it looks like yours has it too.

There's a little gap, but in essence, that's one of the "upgrades". It allows you to close the tailgate without first opening the cover. The old style had the rubber lip that sit flush against the top of the tailgate but it would get hung up while closing the tailgate unless you opened the cover first. The new style looks cleaner, IMO.

The new one, as you know, has the weather strip seal that sits against the inside face of the tailgate when it's closed and there's 1/4" gap or less between the cover and the top of the tailgate. I have it adjusted so the gap is very small. It does a good job keeping out water too and any that does get it just runs down the inside of the tailgate and out.

BLACKMAMBA777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a little gap, but in essence, that's one of the "upgrades". It allows you to close the tailgate without first opening the cover. The old style had the rubber lip that sit flush against the top of the tailgate but it would get hung up while closing the tailgate unless you opened the cover first. The new style looks cleaner, IMO.

The new one, as you know, has the weather strip seal that sits against the inside face of the tailgate when it's closed and there's 1/4" gap or less between the cover and the top of the tailgate. I have it adjusted so the gap is very small. It does a good job keeping out water too and any that does get it just runs down the inside of the tailgate and out.

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the feedback. This cover is sick!

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Also, the four butter fly nuts are for extra security on the four screws at the top of the cover correct? Top/under, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Also, the four butter fly nuts are for extra security on the four screws at the top of the cover correct? Top/under, if that makes sense.

I don't know. The only wing nuts I have are for the slam latch adjustment plates. I used the locking washers/nuts on the 4 bolts toward the bulkhead (pictured above). I don't think you would need anything additional there.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the Roll-X be secured in a partially-open position for driving or is it a full close/full open proposition?

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can the Roll-X be secured in a partially-open position for driving or is it a full close/full open proposition?

Full open or closed.

I considered that before getting mine, but decided it would be exceedingly rare for me to want to drive around with it half open. And if I were hauling something too tall to go under it, I'd typically prefer the tall stuff up close to the cab, not back by the tailgate.

I love my Roll-X. Guys in northern climates might not like it as much in the winter - mine will freeze shut when its real cold. It's pretty close to perfect for me though.