Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Bucky

Reaction score
Hey Bailey (BD),

I'm looking at getting the 10in Lower OnX6 hi-power light bar in combination with either the unlimited or pro version of your fog light kits. It looks like the OnX6 lower light bar will cover the driving/combo Zone 3 really well. Does it makes sense to have 1 pair of the squadron pros be driving/combo as well or would that be redundant? Would you get more light coverage by having all four of the squadron pros be spots to cover a wider range further out in zone 4? I don't really need the racer editions to hit zone 5, but I was leaning towards the unlimited for the higher output S2 Pros and looking to get the amber rock covers to use them as fog/snow lights when needed.

As far as utilizing the aux switches the most efficiently, it sounds like I could run the OnX6 on aux1, the four squadron pro spots on aux2, the 2 S2 Pro cornering/fog lights on aux 3, and then your back up lights on aux4. Is that accurate based on how the wiring harnesses come wired?

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Bailey (BD),

I'm looking at getting the 10in Lower OnX6 hi-power light bar in combination with either the unlimited or pro version of your fog light kits. It looks like the OnX6 lower light bar will cover the driving/combo Zone 3 really well. Does it makes sense to have 1 pair of the squadron pros be driving/combo as well or would that be redundant? Would you get more light coverage by having all four of the squadron pros be spots to cover a wider range further out in zone 4? I don't really need the racer editions to hit zone 5, but I was leaning towards the unlimited for the higher output S2 Pros and looking to get the amber rock covers to use them as fog/snow lights when needed.

As far as utilizing the aux switches the most efficiently, it sounds like I could run the OnX6 on aux1, the four squadron pro spots on aux2, the 2 S2 Pro cornering/fog lights on aux 3, and then your back up lights on aux4. Is that accurate based on how the wiring harnesses come wired?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for posting up!

I would keep the Unlimited Kit the same patterns and lens combinations as what we typically send out. This gives you the best blend of nearfield, midfield, and distance lighting. You will lose some nearfield lighting if you change all Squadron Series Lights to Spot. If you're going fast a night then you might prefer the additional lighting in distance with the Squadron Pros in Spot. The nice thing about our lights is you can change the lenses and patterns to suit your needs. All you would need is QTY: 2 Lens kits to experiment with the all Spot setup:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-pro-sport-spot-lens-kit.asp

-Bailey, Baja Designs
[email protected]

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Forum & Sales Support 7/14-7/24

Hey Everyone! I will be out of the office 7/14-7/24 attending FJ Summit in Ouray, CO with very limited phone and email service.
I will be back in the office 7/25. For immediate assistance please call (800)422-5292 or email [email protected]

Thanks!
Bailey, Baja Designs
8004225292x114
[email protected]

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give a shout out to both Rick at Freedom Motorsports and to BD. I ordered a 10" Onyx6 lower grill kit through Rick and when it arrived it didn't include the bracket and harness for the lower grille. Rick jumped on it and contacted BD and they expedited the bracket to me in time for me to install before a trip. Outstanding customer service by both companies, and the quality is beyond compare. Great job!

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Bailey (BD),

Thanks for your help!

The Onyx 6 fills in the middle very nicely where the lights in the fog pockets drop off a bit. At the correct angle, it fills in where the fog pocket lights drop off in illumination very well. As Bailey said, I would stick with the standard setup.

I wired mine like this to conserve high wattage AUX switches. You don't need 15A for the Onyx 6, 10 amps is enough.

AUX1 - Four inside Fog Pocket lights
AUX6 - Two outside S2 Fog Pocket lights
AUX3 - Onyx 6 Light bar

The Backup lights tie directly into driver side rear tail light. The kit doesn't include a harness to get you to the AUX switches. Someone else posted an option to tie them into the trailer hitch backup wire which looks like a great potential solution as well.

Good luck.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hkguns, your making me think about spending more money. Stop it,lol. I think I'm going to start with the fogs first.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hkguns, your making me think about spending more money. Stop it,lol. I think I'm going to start with the fogs first.

They're worth every penny if you can swing them without a 2nd mortgage.

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're worth every penny if you can swing them without a 2nd mortgage.

I've decided to go with Baja lights but I'm leaning heavily towards FordRaptorlight.com housing. Based on what I've heard I'm not going to lose too much light; maybe a little wide cornering because of the S2 vs the kc.

Question: what lights come standard with the pro Baja kit... the pro spot and pro driving combo?

I too am looking to do the Onx light, (working on my sto n sho license plate today to see if I can lower it to make it work.)

So I guess I need the pro spot and pro driving combo lights which would work the best with the Onx6 in my proposed set up?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chev the Pro kits come with the mounting brackets, a pair of squadron pros in spot, a pair of squadron pros in driving combo and a pair of s2 sports in wide cornering.

They have a 2017+ Raptor 30" Kit but it's not an OnX light it's an S8 in Driving/Combo (nothing stopping you frmo installing an OnX6 however using your imagination).

I'd also recommend getting a pair of amber lenses for some of those squadrons, this way you can throw some ambers on if you want.

Looks like Bailey is out of the office for a while but you can always email Bailey or one of the other Baja reps for help... or ask me, I know a lot about their products.

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chev the Pro kits come with the mounting brackets, a pair of squadron pros in spot, a pair of squadron pros in driving combo and a pair of s2 sports in wide cornering.

They have a 2017+ Raptor 30" Kit but it's not an OnX light it's an S8 in Driving/Combo (nothing stopping you frmo installing an OnX6 however using your imagination).

I'd also recommend getting a pair of amber lenses for some of those squadrons, this way you can throw some ambers on if you want.

Looks like Bailey is out of the office for a while but you can always email Bailey or one of the other Baja reps for help... or ask me, I know a lot about their products.

Thanks... just the information I need.

By the way I was able to modify the bracket for the sto n sho license plate... based on the pictures I've studied of the Onx6, my plate should be right below how the light is mounted, with little obstruction if any.

The mount doesn't look that pretty with the license plate off, but I plan on leaving the plate on full-time anyway, so you can't really see what I did unless you get down on your knees and take a look. I painted it as close to the color of the skid plate as well.

What I did was use a piece of hard rubber about an inch thick cut to match the size of the mounting bracket. Then I cut another piece of aluminum to match the mounting bracket and wedged the rubber in between the bracket.

That way, with the additional width of the bracket, I am able to tighten up the rear screw thus squeezing the rubber in the back, forcing the rubber in the front to expand and push the license plate down in the front, all while yet remaining level.

Now that Onx6 light should work fine with no need to remove my front plate.

I might modify it some more but for now it'll work fine and I won't get pulled over for no front plate here in Liberal land!

Attachments

• 20170718_165742.jpg
    20170718_165742.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170718_165609.jpg
    20170718_165609.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: