Back window shattered, trust Safelite?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cloudy22

Reaction score
Little kids tried to throw rocks into a creek... they had poor aim. Parents ( who are friends) are stepping up to take care of it. Safelite quoted me around $700 and just waiting on a dealer quote .

One other guy said, " I won't do those windows because of the electronics but do not go to Safelite".... so now he has me concerned. is there something so intricate about our rear windows that make this an extra tough installation?

Attachments

• AB982F9F-B20E-49B9-8684-0329721C96CA.jpeg
    AB982F9F-B20E-49B9-8684-0329721C96CA.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 78

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little kids tried to throw rocks into a creek... they had poor aim. Parents ( who are friends) are stepping up to take care of it. Safelite quoted me around $700 and just waiting on a dealer quote .

One other guy said, " I won't do those windows because of the electronics but do not go to Safelite".... so now he has me concerned. is there something so intricate about our rear windows that make this an extra tough installation?
depends on which safelight. i had my back window shatter on my gen 1. had it replaced with safelight while i was in california. unfortunately california was in a drought (as always). fast forward to when i moved to colorado. we get rain every day in the summer. noticed a bead of water down my back window several days but thought nothing of it. go to an offroad event a couple months later and was sleeping in the back seat of my truck. rain storm comes through and im getting water splashing on my face. thats when i noticed the safelight which replaced my rear window didnt seal that part and water was leaking in. contacted safelight corporate and they set up an appt with a safelight in colorado for inspection. sure enough they found that a section was missing sealant. ended up being an expensive repair for them. my amplifier was on the back wall was corroded so $2000 for that. my sound processor was also on the back wall. $1200. carpet was wet and moldy so $5k for new carpet and headliner and installation. required removal of the entire interior. and an airbag module needed replaced. however safelight stood behind their work and replaced all the components. i just gave them the bill. as owner of a car audio shop, i billed according to our hourly rate and hours it took me. luckily i didnt have to pay a shop.

so all said and done, the safelight in colorado i went to did a perfect job. i would definitely use that shop again. however the one in california that did the original work, i would avoid at all costs. the back window isnt hard to replace. theres a few nuts and bolts, the power window and defrost wires, and sealant. but i understand mistakes happen. i was never mad or upset and talked to safelight like a normal person. they did everything right to fix the situation. im not one to ask for free stuff or discounts. i simply wanted my truck fixed and equipment repaired. they did just that. so it comes down to the quality of work at that specific location, but know that corporate will take care of you if the situation ever arises.

OP
OP
C

Cloudy22

Reaction score
thank you for that, was the gen1 a similar window to what is in the gen3 ? A power sliding window? My biggest concern is the hook up of the electronics.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you for that, was the gen1 a similar window to what is in the gen3 ? A power sliding window? My biggest concern is the hook up of the electronics.
yes, but the entire window has everything already preinstalled. the power sliding tracks, and the slider window. its one piece that gets bolted and sealed in. i dont believe the gen 3 is any different. just has a couple wires to connect. the slider motor is on the back wall so its a 2 pin plug (at least for mine) and the 2 rear defrost spade terminals.

CACRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Safelite in Katy, TX replaced the rear window in my 2017 Superduty due to a foul ball at softball practice. I never had any issues and it was a very similar window to the Gen 3's.

Fat_Kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked in auto repair for approx 15 years and used many different glass companies (including safelite). It just comes down to the technician in my opinion. Some are good and some are bad. My bet is Safelite has a good warranty, though. That's what I would focus on, personally! Sorry about the damage!

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Safelite scratched the crap outta my 66 Mustang. Brand new paint job. Tech was nearing retirement and didn't give a crap. They did pay to fix it but I won't use them again.