Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This whole climate change is BS in my opinion. Every year or so we find a new prehistoric animal buried in ice or being uncovered. I don’t think John Deere was around back then to bury the animal, so it must have been ground level at the time of its death and was covered from an ice age. Earth clearly goes through some cycles, I would not be surprised if The climate wipes most of us out and sends us back to the Stone Age to start again.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This whole climate change is BS in my opinion.

Climate changes. There have been 10C swings in the average annual temperature in the Northern Hemisphere in less than a decade during the last couple hundred thousand years. We are having a crisis because some computer model shows a 2C rise over the next hundred years? When computer models are known to not work on nonlinear systems? When humans are incredibly good at avoiding problems that they can see coming a long way off? Other than using the wrong tool on a problem we don't understand, distorting it in the media, and then using it for political advantage/profit, we're doing pretty well ...

Earth clearly goes through some cycles, I would not be surprised if The climate wipes most of us out and sends us back to the Stone Age to start again.

That's arguably a bigger worry than that CO2-driven warming will make the planet unlivable. I think it's the bigger worry. We are very close to being able to remove CO2 directly from the atmosphere and turn it into plastic. Getting voters hysterical about reducing carbon has nothing to do with risk and everything to do with profit.

Even so, I'll reiterate. Fossil fuels are a finite resource. We have to replace them if we're to survive and thrive as a species, carbon or no carbon. Píssing on EVs because they suck today may be fun and all, but you're píssing into the wind. Don't look down ... your shoes are all wet. :)

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“You would have made all of these same arguments in favor of keeping horses instead of moving to cars. "You are ripping out existing things to drill for oil, build gas stations, etc. My horse's fuel grows on the side of the road!"

Thank you for bringing up the carbon cycle my friend. Co2 is a nutrient to plants, hydrocarbons are part of that chain. When you enrich living plant habitats with extra Co2 you up regulate photosynthesis and they can grow as much as 35% faster :)

You would have made all of these same arguments in favor of keeping horses instead of moving to cars. "You are ripping out existing things to drill for oil, build gas stations, etc. My horse's fuel grows on the side of the road!"

The US has minimal battery production now. That is changing.

Also please don't try to throw out engineering terms as a challenge. If you think I'm being smug now, you will definitely not like how I educate you about first principles and how the actual engineers, many of who I personally know, solve these known problems. "Law of thermal dynamics", whatever you're attempting to incorrectly refer to, has nothing to do with "windmills mechanically destroy[ing] themselves after about 7 years" (would love a source on this since I know engineers that worked at GE on windmill reliability that would laugh at your claim).

Ahh there it is...that lovely tribalism that this always seem to boil down to. "This guy is from California and he doesn't hate EVs and green energy and doesn't bathe in oil every day, GET HIM!" You'd be shocked to find out what my political leanings actually are ;). Also there's nothing smug about what I wrote there--just cold hard facts and objective reality.

If you want to have an honest discussion about the issues facing mass EV adoption, which there are many (but they're solvable and being solved), I'm happy to do that. If you want to make this about lame identity politics, you're on your own.

“The US has minimal battery production now. That is changing.”

Show Us all how the US is going to suddenly manufacture battery packs in mass quantity and at a cost benefit ratio with only a scant handful of lithium producing mines ….

We have been hearing about muh “ better battery technology” for 20 years now and it will always be relatively negligible gains as storing electrons in heavy metals is inefficient with regards to energy density.

“I know engineers that worked at GE on windmill reliability that would laugh at your claim).”

Lmao ok … sure you do…

“that lovely tribalism that this always seem to boil down to.”

No you are just a paid shill to try and promote cultural acceptance of EV tech on a forum centered around a Baja truck. 2 of which have v8’s and one iteration having TTv6… no one wants to hear about or cares about your stupid battery car… go back to r/tesla or whatever…

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“You would have made all of these same arguments in favor of keeping horses instead of moving to cars. "You are ripping out existing things to drill for oil, build gas stations, etc. My horse's fuel grows on the side of the road!"

Thank you for bringing up the carbon cycle my friend. Co2 is a nutrient to plants, hydrocarbons are part of that chain. When you enrich living plant habitats with extra Co2 you up regulate photosynthesis and they can grow as much as 35% faster :)

“The US has minimal battery production now. That is changing.”

Show Us all how the US is going to suddenly manufacture battery packs in mass quantity and at a cost benefit ratio with only a scant handful of lithium producing mines ….

We have been hearing about muh “ better battery technology” for 20 years now and it will always be relatively negligible gains as storing electrons in heavy metals is inefficient with regards to energy density.

“I know engineers that worked at GE on windmill reliability that would laugh at your claim).”

Lmao ok … sure you do…

“that lovely tribalism that this always seem to boil down to.”

No you are just a paid shill to try and promote cultural acceptance of EV tech on a forum centered around a Baja truck. 2 of which have v8’s and one iteration having TTv6… no one wants to hear about or cares about your stupid battery car… go back to r/tesla or whatever…
Woof, it seems I've struck a nerve. Don't let the existence of EVs threaten your masculinity this badly. Dainty little Priuses and Model 3's can coexist alongside our big bad baja trucks with their manly V8's and almost-as-manly TTV6's :)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go figure out who is supposed to be paying me for my shill work because they owe me a ton of backpay.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole climate change is BS in my opinion. Every year or so we find a new prehistoric animal buried in ice or being uncovered. I don’t think John Deere was around back then to bury the animal, so it must have been ground level at the time of its death and was covered from an ice age. Earth clearly goes through some cycles, I would not be surprised if The climate wipes most of us out and sends us back to the Stone Age to start again.
It’s called weather! It is kinda like the scamdemic, government commands and people follow. A few scientists got a federal grant and they decided to milk it for everything they can get. During which time, Biden, AOC and the like used it to instill fear in stupid people. Think about it, did masks make a difference with COVID and is social distancing the reason Covid is not on the news? Unfortunately there is a large sheep herd in the United States that believe the government has their best interest at heart.……now EV’s, no gas stoves. Fear is ugly and so is following without question. ****** used both to start WW2

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Climate changes. There have been 10C swings in the average annual temperature in the Northern Hemisphere in less than a decade during the last couple hundred thousand years. We are having a crisis because some computer model shows a 2C rise over the next hundred years? When computer models are known to not work on nonlinear systems? When humans are incredibly good at avoiding problems that they can see coming a long way off? Other than using the wrong tool on a problem we don't understand, distorting it in the media, and then using it for political advantage/profit, we're doing pretty well ...

That's arguably a bigger worry than that CO2-driven warming will make the planet unlivable. I think it's the bigger worry. We are very close to being able to remove CO2 directly from the atmosphere and turn it into plastic. Getting voters hysterical about reducing carbon has nothing to do with risk and everything to do with profit.

Even so, I'll reiterate. Fossil fuels are a finite resource. We have to replace them if we're to survive and thrive as a species, carbon or no carbon. Píssing on EVs because they suck today may be fun and all, but you're píssing into the wind. Don't look down ... your shoes are all wet. :)
Correct me if I’m wrong, and I’m sure you will, but aren’t the metals (cobalt, lithium, etc.) used to make your EV batteries finite resources?

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, and I’m sure you will, but aren’t rare earth metals (cobalt, lithium, etc.) used to make your EV batteries finite resources?
I suspect from your wording that you're baiting me, but I'll play along because I can't read tone very well in text. So benefit of the doubt. Yes, those elements are finite. The difference is that they are not consumed during use. Your lithium battery has as much lithium in it at the end of it's life as at the beginning. Yes, recycling it is a problem that we haven't solved yet, but we're clever little monkeys and I have confidence we'll figure it out. And there's a lot of lithium in the earth, it's the richest ore that's rare. Again, clever little monkeys will probably figure out how to get it from seawater or from poor ore.

And they aren't "my" EV batteries. EVs don't come close to meeting my needs. It's cool and interesting tech but still too limited today. If I were into hugging trees I'd buy a hybrid, those make the most sense given today's technology. But I'm not into hugging trees. I think there's a 90% chance that humans are extinct fifty years from now. 99% in a hundred. If AI doesn't kill us, nanotech will. Or biotech. Or nuclear war. Or an astroid. Or a huge volcano like Yellowstone. Or even the next ice age. Global warming doesn't make it into the top ten when it comes to existential threats. So fúck it, I'm going to enjoy my life, burn fossil fuel, and let the future take care of itself. Not my problem. My problem is that I'm an annoying nerd who hates to see people make stupid arguments with bad data and weak logic and is willing to correct them. But if I enjoy it, is it really a problem? Not for me. :)

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect from your wording that you're baiting me, but I'll play along because I can't read tone very well in text. So benefit of the doubt. Yes, those elements are finite. The difference is that they are not consumed during use. Your lithium battery has as much lithium in it at the end of it's life as at the beginning. Yes, recycling it is a problem that we haven't solved yet, but we're clever little monkeys and I have confidence we'll figure it out. And there's a lot of lithium in the earth, it's the richest ore that's rare. Again, clever little monkeys will probably figure out how to get it from seawater or from poor ore.

And they aren't "my" EV batteries. EVs don't come close to meeting my needs. It's cool and interesting tech but still too limited today. If I were into hugging trees I'd buy a hybrid, those make the most sense given today's technology. But I'm not into hugging trees. I think there's a 90% chance that humans are extinct fifty years from now. 99% in a hundred. If AI doesn't kill us, nanotech will. Or biotech. Or nuclear war. Or an astroid. Or a huge volcano like Yellowstone. Or even the next ice age. Global warming doesn't make it into the top ten when it comes to existential threats. So fúck it, I'm going to enjoy my life, burn fossil fuel, and let the future take care of itself. Not my problem. My problem is that I'm an annoying nerd who hates to see people make stupid arguments with bad data and weak logic and is willing to correct them. But if I enjoy it, is it really a problem? Not for me. :)
Fair enough :)