Any problems running fiberglass bed cover off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with their fiberglass bed cover when they ran aggressively off-road? A buddy posted a pic of his Raptor on Facebook and couple of people made some comments that it would be a bad idea to do a Raptor Run with the fiberglass bed cover on it. Does the bed flex and mess up the cover? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 12951

I wouldn't do it, bed flexes a lot. Not aggressive, maybe but then that would be no fun. I think @IRONMAN sold his because of off-roading issues.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with their fiberglass bed cover when they ran aggressively off-road? A buddy posted a pic of his Raptor on Facebook and couple of people made some comments that it would be a bad idea to do a Raptor Run with the fiberglass bed cover on it. Does the bed flex and mess up the cover? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I run a cover. haven't done any real aggressive off roading but it has held up good. Maybe @IRONMAN can give more input on his.

I wouldn't do it, bed flexes a lot. Not aggressive, maybe but then that would be no fun. I think @IRONMAN sold his because of off-roading issues.

I have gone off roading with my cover on many terrains.
South Dakota Buffalo Run, and even Havoc in the Hills.
Both runs my cover has popped open several times and I've had to stop to close it. I've installed an extra set of brackets on mine 3 on each side not just 2
if I do off road with it but the majority of the time now I will just take it off before the run and put all my belongings in a large heavy duty bin.

20121129_162850.jpg

The one bin in this picture is a small version of the larger one I have that's about 2.5 to 3 times larger.
I put everything in there then strap in down and jump all I want with it.

This is my cover

52681d1407729724-r-e-lsx-ultra-series-tonneau-cover-raptor-back-up-high.jpg

52682d1407729724-r-e-lsx-ultra-series-tonneau-cover-right-rear-sm-.jpg

52683d1407729724-r-e-lsx-ultra-series-tonneau-cover-raptor-cover.jpg

20121215_145116_zpsbe4782c9.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

^^
See I thought you were selling your cover, did not realize you kept it. Nice bed mat though!

OP
OP
TheButcher

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ironman. What bracket did you add to it? The one that clamps the frame of the cover to the bedside? Other than the annoyance of it coming open, did you have any other problems? The plan is to secure everything into the bed by strapping it down, so the only forces on the Leer cover should be the cover itself. I wonder if there is a way to sort of latch it down so it doesn't open on it's own if you catch air. I'm thinking something pretty simple (and possibly not even effective) like a suction cup with tie down point on it on the top of the back of the lid and run a rope or strap down to the rear tow hooks? Might be kind of cheesy, but it might also prevent from having to stop all the time to close the dang cover!

OP
OP
TheButcher

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually just found that there is a ******** the inside of the cover that I can hook another strap to and run through the bottom of the tailgate and cinch around the trailer hitch. Should solve the problem of it opening. It might come unlatched, but shouldn't open all the way.