Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a local Alternator repair shop. They actually make the entire thing look Brand New. It was about 100 dollars less than buying brand new. I obviously did my own removal and installation. Highly recommend doing that unless you are really good at sodering and etc. Plus I thought all the rebuild kits were ehh if you know what I mean as I looked into that also. I had 170,000 original miles in that Alternator and asked them how close I was to total failure and he said I was extremely close as my carbon brushes that contact the armature were down to the nubs. When they wear out there is Ni warning that will worn you. You just dead in the road so another good advice.....don't put it off

BlueHound

Reaction score
I went to a local Alternator repair shop. They actually make the entire thing look Brand New. It was about 100 dollars less than buying brand new. I obviously did my own removal and installation. Highly recommend doing that unless you are really good at sodering and etc. Plus I thought all the rebuild kits were ehh if you know what I mean as I looked into that also. I had 170,000 original miles in that Alternator and asked them how close I was to total failure and he said I was extremely close as my carbon brushes that contact the armature were down to the nubs. When they wear out there is Ni warning that will worn you. You just dead in the road so another good advice.....don't put it off
Good advice. Better to get ahead of it for sure. Was toying with the idea of getting a spare alternator and starter from the wrecker and having them rebuilt, then I can always have a fresh unit ready to go in and no downtime. 100% agreed on the questionable quality I’m seeing for rebuild kits. Can’t find one from Motorcraft which I’m a stickler for OEM. With only $100 difference I might just go ahead and buy the new OE replacement…