Air Lift rear kit installed for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndrewN

Reaction score
Here the rear-end is at full drop, then shown with the truck sitting on the rear-end after it was put back on the ground at ride height.

After this change the truck feels much better and more balanced. I think the internal jounce bumpers on the original bags were limiting travel.
Obviously when jumping the rear is going to go full-drop as it should with the cradles installed. I haven't tested that part yet but, I'm really not worried about it. You just know it'll work properly
Warp6, I realize this thread is a bit dated, but given that it's been 2 years since you added the Daystar cradles, have you had any issues? I have the airlift bags with the internal jounce bumpers on my 2020 Raptpr, and I definitely suffer from a very stiff suspension when not towing our overlanding rig. I was considering adding the Daystar cradles as a first step, and then switching out the bags for the ones without the jounce bumpers if I don't get the desired result. Question, since your original bags had the jounce bumpers, did you try the Daystar cradles with those first, or did you add the Daystar cradles at the same time you replaced your bags? I am trying to get a sense of what to expect if I just add the Daystar cradles, but keep my existing bags (with jounce bumpers).

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warp6, I realize this thread is a bit dated, but given that it's been 2 years since you added the Daystar cradles, have you had any issues? I have the airlift bags with the internal jounce bumpers on my 2020 Raptpr, and I definitely suffer from a very stiff suspension when not towing our overlanding rig. I was considering adding the Daystar cradles as a first step, and then switching out the bags for the ones without the jounce bumpers if I don't get the desired result. Question, since your original bags had the jounce bumpers, did you try the Daystar cradles with those first, or did you add the Daystar cradles at the same time you replaced your bags? I am trying to get a sense of what to expect if I just add the Daystar cradles, but keep my existing bags (with jounce bumpers).
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like WARP6 is a registered user here any longer. His profile says he was last seen here in February, and if you start to type @WARP6, his username doesn't appear...

AndrewN

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone will read this thread, but I thought I would share my recent experience. I have a 2nd generation Raptor, and I tow a 3,500 lb. overlanding trailer. To get rid of the sag, I had AirLift bags (5000 ultimate with jounce) installed about a year ago. As many of you know, it acts as a limiting strap and definitely changes the driving characteristics of the truck. I was reading about the Daystar cradles used by some and was going to go that route, but I found these instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCDYHH65/?tag=fordraptorforum-20. These are cradles made by AirLift, and they are great because the holes match up with the existing brackets that came with the AirLift bags. Thus, there was no drilling required. All I had to do was remove 4 bolts, remove the existing trays, align the cradles and secure 4 bolts. My truck now drives like it used to, with all of (or at least most of) the suspension travel. If you are considering AirLift 5000 bags on your Raptor, I would definitely spring (no pun intended) for the AirLift cradles for $60.00. It's a game changer.

btheg

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone will read this thread, but I thought I would share my recent experience. I have a 2nd generation Raptor, and I tow a 3,500 lb. overlanding trailer. To get rid of the sag, I had AirLift bags (5000 ultimate with jounce) installed about a year ago. As many of you know, it acts as a limiting strap and definitely changes the driving characteristics of the truck. I was reading about the Daystar cradles used by some and was going to go that route, but I found these instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCDYHH65/?tag=fordraptorforum-20. These are cradles made by AirLift, and they are great because the holes match up with the existing brackets that came with the AirLift bags. Thus, there was no drilling required. All I had to do was remove 4 bolts, remove the existing trays, align the cradles and secure 4 bolts. My truck now drives like it used to, with all of (or at least most of) the suspension travel. If you are considering AirLift 5000 bags on your Raptor, I would definitely spring (no pun intended) for the AirLift cradles for $60.00. It's a game changer.
greatly appreciate this - I'm curious are you also running a WDH or just the bags with cradles?

AndrewN

Reaction score
greatly appreciate this - I'm curious are you also running a WDH or just the bags with cradles?
I am just running the bags with cradles. My trailer is only 3,500 lbs. (max weight of trailer is 4,200 lbs., but I've never come close to that), and it has a very specific hitch. Here it is, so you have a sense of what I am towing. https://xpeditiontrailers.com/. I rented one before I purchased, and the first time, I didn't have the bags. It was fine, and I towed about 2,000 miles without issues, but the rear of the truck was sagging. With bags at about 25psi, maybe 30 if we are carrying a lot of gear, there is no sag, and this rig tows like a dream. I also use the bags to maneuver the rig into my garage. My driveway has a slight angle, and once I back in the first half of the rig, I will sometime pump the bags up to 100psi, which lowers the back of the trailer and ensures I don't hit my garage when putting it into storage (we have about 1/2 inch of clearance). Anyway, perhaps more than you were looking for, but I will say this is a trailer/rig that matches the capabilities of a Raptor. And these cradles really do give you your truck back (or at least most of it). Hope this helps!