4.56 Gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is highly recommended to keep the axle ratios as close as possible. For the Raptor axles, there are both 4.56 and 4.88 gears available for the front and rear axles. However, on some rockcrawler stuff where guys run a GM 14 Bolt in the rear of the buggy and a Dana 60 up front they may have 4.88 and 4.89 gear ratios. This set up will work fine for them because the difference is so miniscule.

The rule of thumb I've always heard is to keep it under 1% difference and you won't notice any problems. Basically there's more variation in tire sizes. 4.10 and 4.09 are a common combination too.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your gonna do 100mph in 4x4 my guess would be, being off any percent can't be good for the transfer case. Just my opinion

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna do 100mph in 4x4 you better not be on pavement in the first place which negates any real problems with different ratios

Omani-Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be running 4.88 F&R gear set with 37" or 38" inch tires ... How is the power like? I like going fast on very soft sand dunes , so incline degrees put the truck to the test and I get stuck on the way up due to raptor weight and steep hill

Do u think this kit would help in these situations ? Pls feel free to have ur opinions

Thanks

Last edited:

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
I will be running 4.88 F&R gear set with 37" or 38" inch tires ... How is the power like? I like going fast on very soft sand dunes , so incline degrees put the truck to the test and I get stuck on the way up due to raptor weight and steep hill

Do u think this kit would help in these situations ? Pls feel free to have ur opinions

Thanks

Oh crap, where's my gear, rpm, tire size chart. I am thinking with a 4.88 you will be just a little lower than 35" with 4.10 gears. Maybe a 5.?? would give you more horsepower back, Keep in mind that the weight of those larger tires takes power away so if you want a real powerful truck in sand see if the 5.?? range will fit

Should we get a Tire, RPM, Gear ratio, Speed chart posted as a sticky ?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh crap, where's my gear, rpm, tire size chart. I am thinking with a 4.88 you will be just a little lower than 35" with 4.10 gears. Maybe a 5.?? would give you more horsepower back, Keep in mind that the weight of those larger tires takes power away so if you want a real powerful truck in sand see if the 5.?? range will fit

Should we get a Tire, RPM, Gear ratio, Speed chart posted as a sticky ?

Just call Corey, he has the chart memorized

-Greg

*jrwiii*

Reaction score
I am doing a bit more research on parts that I used and making sure that what I did was the best way to make things work. The gears and bearings fit perfectly. I am working on setting up a vendor account with Birdman and will make everything available at fair prices.
On a side note the front gears went in without any issues at all.

Last edited:

JsGarage

Reaction score
Just looking at this the 4.56 gears sounds well for a stock configuration.

With the 6 speed transmission, it seems like 1-3 gears are the power gears and the others are simply for fuel economy.

4.56 would roughly raise the cruise rpms by 300-500rpms but should next in a 5-10% better acceleration.

Tire Gear Ratio Charts

Who sells these master kits? I'd be very interested in purchasing a 4.56 for my stock configured (tire size) raptor.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatguyfromford