$2.99 Sub Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this, a definite improvement and a cheap and easy mod to do in a short amount of time. Thanks for sharing!

Tejas

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this mod yesterday and I know why its supposed to help but turning up the bass on this system also turns up the bass on those terrible door speakers making them sound worse. Then I had to fade the sound to the back as well because the sound up front is so bad.
Does anyone have any experience changing those door speakers?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will definitly try this thanks!
I was watching Tron 2 on my laptop yesterday bluetoothed over to the stero with volume all the way up I had to turn down the bass two settings, this mod will most likely help with that.
I use the laptop instead of just sticking the disk into radio because the sound is far greater from the laptop or my smart phone when I Slingbox.
And I have been setting the fader more to the rear from day one as thats how I like to hear music.

To justvettn:

I found a video on youtube of a guy taking the door panels off, from my thread "Automatic Tailgate Lock"

Link: http://youtu.be/kXn_RCaQr1M?hd=1

Last edited:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
while we're talking speakers, anyone know what the factory door speakers are? I have a set of Memphis 5x7's leftover from my HD truck, I'll toss 'em in if they'll swap right out.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
while we're talking speakers, anyone know what the factory door speakers are? I have a set of Memphis 5x7's leftover from my HD truck, I'll toss 'em in if they'll swap right out.

I shined a light inside the door grill and they look like 6 and a half inch speakers
I think they are probably also components because of the small little grills up on the pillars. The grills look long enough for 5x7's, but I am assuming your 5x7's are not components.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Thank you MTF! for that great you tube video. It does not look all that hard with the right tools, and that guy hated his speakers so bad he changed them in a snow storm.
Reptar the speakers in the F150 doors are 5x7's, not sure about the Raptor Sony speaker size but 5x7 should work.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sorry I'm not the biggest audio guru, are components the ones with separate tweeters? The speakers I have left from my other truck have the small tweeter mounted in the center of the larger speaker. Even if stock doesn't have that, would it necessarily be too much having those along with the factory tweeters in the pillars?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sorry I'm not the biggest audio guru, are components the ones with separate tweeters? The speakers I have left from my other truck have the small tweeter mounted in the center of the larger speaker. Even if stock doesn't have that, would it necessarily be too much having those along with the factory tweeters in the pillars?

Yes the components are the ones with separate tweeters, and those 5x7's you have could be used for the rears and buy a set of components for the front.
Its not recommended to try and run those speakers and the factory tweeters together for the fronts.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Is it possible to replace sub that comes in truck with a kicker or JL audio sub? Anyone tried that yet?

Yes its possible and its been done by another member, I think he is using the JL Sub, but you would also have to buy a new amp to power the new sub and new wires plus a sub box because the Sony box is very small.

Vincet30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just invested 10 minutes and $3.50 for this quick mod...you can't fix the quality of the sub for so cheap but I think it may have SLIGHTLY improved the sound. Bottom line, definitely doesn't make any thing worse so you can't possibly go wrong :waytogo:

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it's a tough balance between sub output and rear fade. I've got my rear fade at about 15/20% right now and it seems to be a good balance.

changing out the speakers is moving higher on my list though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alotajs