1.5” Collars vs 1.0” Eibach springs, I HAVE USED BOTH…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slaptor911

Reaction score
I have been tempted on several occasions to do a live valve delete and throw a set of icon coilovers and rear bypass shocks, but nobody can confirm fitment.

I saw some member on here did a set of gen2 fox race series suspension on his gen 3 and says it works great.

I have 3 concerns:

1. I know the holes in the strut tower are 5/8” in the gen3, but only 9/16” for the gen2. It would irritate me and maybe create play over time if the studs that hold the coilovers aren’t big enough.

2. I know the new gen3 has more travel, I would hate ruining the suspension or not being able to capitalize on all the “potential” travel, or create a situation where there isn’t enough down travel causing harshness and unnecessary wear on the shocks.

3. I know another member used the old fox race series in the rear of his gen 3 and claims they work great, the icons have a weird linkage however and I’m unsure if it works or not with the next gen3 rear suspension.
I honestly do not understand the need or want to take off something that is electronically tied to the vehicle and replace it with something that is passive. I do understand the want to upgrade Our vehicles, but what a lot might think is an upgrade is actually the opposite.

I can confirm a couple of your concerns. Some I can not talk to at this point.

Will the gen2 FOX Factory Race bolt up. YES. Several reputable companies have been selling this.
Does it work? YES. You will need to adjust the spring collar as the Gen3 sits higher from the factory than Gen2’s.

Does it work properly? Not really. The Gen3 shocks, and “Live Valves“ operate at twice the speed, and twice the pressures of the Gen2. Seat of the pants feel does not equal increased performance in this case.

Travel - the front is close, you’ll lose some droop. Rear you lose slightly more than a inch of travel.

Valving - big change in the rear with the use of coil springs and a 5 link. The motion ratios and spring rates are just are just so much different on the Gen3.
to each there own though. Hopefully this gives some food for thought.

swilly

Reaction score
I am not overly impressed with either collars or springs. I kind of wish I just left it stock and didn’t waste the time or money with the work I’ve done.

FOX where are you at with this already???
I was looking at RPG 1.5 but saw some pictures of people still having some rack. Now looking at Eibach 1" which I've heard good things, but this might be concerning.

love the stock ride and comfort, but I'd like to level and maybe do 37s ... (Decisions decisions)

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at RPG 1.5 but saw some pictures of people still having some rack. Now looking at Eibach 1" which I've heard good things, but this might be concerning.

love the stock ride and comfort, but I'd like to level and maybe do 37s ... (Decisions decisions)
The Eibachs are tolerable.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
So why does geiser not make a 1" level spring? It seems like that would be the best of both worlds for people who want the level look but don't want to do a full fro t and rear lift.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why does geiser not make a 1" level spring? It seems like that would be the best of both worlds for people who want the level look but don't want to do a full fro t and rear lift.
Geiser is a fraction the size of eibach and put in a fraction of the effort developing their gen 3 products. They literally took their gen 2 spring and changed a few digits on the serial number and put it up for sale to the gen 3 crowd. Oh yeah and they charge more than eibach because market research shows when you charge more for a product their is a false correlation with higher quality. My last sentence is speculation of course.