The Detroit Auto Show - New Raptor Unveiling Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor911 - I understand the business side of things. The question is, did they take the Raptor which was touted as off road baja and make it more as my friend put it "glam off roading"?

Dv8tor was there in person so I am curious to hear what his thoughts were on how they making the new Raptor come off as. Baja or Street queen.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I don't understand your comment. As a business you are always trying to get more customers and Ford is no different. If Ford truly wanted to make the Raptor a pure off-road vehicle, then they would have not equipped the Raptor with cool seats, leather seats, remote start, sync, power windows, sunroof, ect.

And no way in HELL would any manufacturer they sell a 50k vehicle without the above items.

Think about it better/stronger Raptor sales will insure a business case for future Raptor development and other like vehicles like the Bronco.
But, leave those items off, and the price point gets quite a bit lower (also more customers). I would love for them to sell a truck with Raptor suspension and XL or XLT interior.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But then again a lot of us enjoy those features. Most wouldn't have it if it were not for the extras.

I can hear the Chevy fanboys already .. "Raptor? Doesn't even come with a touchscreen"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't go to the press release unfortunately. I'm not that privileged. In my honest opinion, it's more street queenish. That's just my opinion. I don't think ford will admit to it but I'm sure the key to this generation raptor was the word "Eco". EcoBoost engine. Lighter weight. A 10 speed trans for Christ sakes. I'm surprised they bothered to put 3.0 shocks on it. It's confusing is what it is. I mean how many more years till we're driving electric raptors? Can u imagine going off road and hearing that fantastic roar of that V8, going down to a Eco v6, and then complete silence of electric motors? I'm sorry. I like attention. I like my truck to be obnoxiously loud. Fast or slow, I like it loud.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't go to the press release unfortunately. I'm not that privileged. In my honest opinion, it's more street queenish. That's just my opinion. I don't think ford will admit to it but I'm sure the key to this generation raptor was the word "Eco". EcoBoost engine. Lighter weight. A 10 speed trans for Christ sakes. I'm surprised they bothered to put 3.0 shocks on it. It's confusing is what it is. I mean how many more years till we're driving electric raptors? Can u imagine going off road and hearing that fantastic roar of that V8, going down to a Eco v6, and then complete silence of electric motors? I'm sorry. I like attention. I like my truck to be obnoxiously loud. Fast or slow, I like it loud.

Unfortunately I think you are right. The Raptor is being castrated to push the EcoBoost.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, loud & proud is how I like my combustion engine. Maybe I'm compensating but I enjoy frightening all creatures large and small.

When they hear you coming it's just safer for everyone.

Safety first.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But then again a lot of us enjoy those features. Most wouldn't have it if it were not for the extras.

I can hear the Chevy fanboys already .. "Raptor? Doesn't even come with a touchscreen"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I intentionally ordered my Gen 1 without all the fancy *******.

Had one thing one my mind...
ricky-bobby.jpg

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean if they really want to hit the "Eco" thing on the head, they might as well drop a cummins in it with a 18 speed. Then you will see incredible fuel milage. Until then, I can pretty much summon up what all Raptor owners don't give a shit about and that is fuel economy. If you want to complain about fuel economy, don't buy a raptor. Me, I can give 2 ***** about fuel economy. I love my truck and I'm proud of everything it does.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor Width ... not as wide as Gen1

This is interesting. I was just trying to figure out the width of the 2017 Raptor and this is what I found:

- Last Gen F-150 is 79.2 inches wide >> My Source
- 2014 Raptor is 86.3 inches wide >> My Source

So as you can tell above, 86.3 - 79.2 = 7.1 inches (We were always told that the Raptor was 7 inches wider than the F-150)

- 2015 F-150 is 79.9 inches >> My source
- Ford has said that the 2017 Raptor will be 6 inches wider than the 2015 F-150 so 79.9 + 6 = 85.9 inches.

So the 2017 Raptor seems to be not as wide as the current Raptor. To be exact .4 inches narrower (86.3 - 85.9).

Please note the widths above do NOT include the side mirrors.

Last edited:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may just be that they're not going to say it's 6.4 inches wider as of now. Easier to say it's 6 inches wider. I guess we'll see.