Rust on bumper. Less than a year old

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to be clear guys, that sort of rust is not par for the course. It is easily preventable with a good powder job, like trey points out. Its all in the prep work, before powder is applied. Applying silicone to corners to prevent rust? I dunno... first I've heard of that idea as a permanent solution. Maybe to cover raw welds while the work sits around the shop waiting on a finishing coat, but even then there are better choices that are easier to clean off (WD40 for one).

Wicked is good people. I have to believe they'll take good care of ya. Have you called?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Reaction score
silicon is not a rust preventative. the use of silicone sealants on painted metal can cause rust. After some reading I have found that there are two types of silicone sealants; neutral (non-corrosive) cure silicone and acid curing silicone. So when Wicked informs me to use silicon they need to make sure they tell people to use the right kind, I would rather use urethane. But i still dont think this is the right way to go, If dont right a powder coated bumper should last way longer before any rust should show

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Reaction score
I sent an email with pics, They arnt answering their phone. i tried calling every day for over a week, Tim is a good guy, he helped me out with a light issue before! this was his response!

Chris,
The best way to fix that is rustoleum truck bed liner. Its available at Home depot. It matches our textured black perfectly. Brush a small amount on after cleaning the rusty water off. Then put a small bead of black silicon caulk along that seam. We started putting caulk in that area from the factory because water tends to sit there and create rust. Your bumper isnt really rusting the water that gets stuck there is just turning that color. The above will take care of that problem easily. Its also good to have a can of the bed liner on hand for rock chips and other chips to prevent rust down the road. We have no warranty on the coating because customers where trying to get bumpers repaired for normal road damage.

Thanks,

Tim Stull
Wicked Performance Inc.
(216) 362-6081
5131 W 164th St
Brook Park, OH 44142

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Silicone repels water, which will decrease the rate of corrosion.
I think something is getting lost in translation here. The way I read Tim's email is to say that the bedliner coating (if the surface is properly cleaned and prepped first) is the rust preventative measure. The silicone bead is used to prevent pooling; a good idea, but not necessary IMHO if the surface was properly cleaned and prepped prior to application, and the bedliner does its job.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tim is saying that due to the shape of the edges, it will hold water. The shape is still there regardless of bedliner or not. According to Tim, the water is changing the color of the powdercoat not corroding the metal. Therefore, water will still be pooling there regardless of new powdercoat or bedliner. Just how I read it

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shrug.gif

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Reaction score
water does not turn rust color without metal to rust. and i think it should be warrantied, it shouldn't be my responsibility to fix the issue on a bumper that is only 8 months old, and its not only just the seams that is rusting, rust is coming thru on the tube as well,