Rust on bumper. Less than a year old

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got mine I used rustoleum paint everywhere I could to stop it and it still had some... On the rear I took it and had it line-x coated...

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely. However, it's just simple powdercoat... So it'll rust like that no matter what. Also looks like you live in FL so humidity, being near the coast, and summer heat/humidity will expedite the rust process. Do yourself a favor, and Wicked a favor as well. Just get it Line-X'ed. I know you don't want to pay for it now, but think about it in a year or two when it gets surface rust again. Wicked most likely won't cover it at that point and you'll end up getting it Line-X'ed mostly likely anyways. Just my $0.02.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that powder coat isn't a rust preventative, however the primer used on the bare metal prior to powder coat sure should be.

Unless these are powdered directly with no pretreat/primer for some reason?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
A good powder coat job shouldn't rust. Corners and angles are hard to PC, but if it's done right, it's not an issue.

I'd be concerned with some of those welds too...

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Reaction score
the guys at wicked told me to put silicon in the corners and paint over it with rustoleum paint, Silicon will cause rust. They actually said that is what they are doing in the manufacturing process on their end. I do live in Florida but no where near the beach!

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Reaction score
no, they powder coat it then put silicon in the corners, So in other words it keeps it from showing the rust as soon,

Last edited:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Silicone is a rust preventative. I guess your only cheap option is to see if Wicked will re-powdercoat it for you and just keep applying silicone grease on the edges.