I have an interesting suspension mod coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Match.com came up with his perfect mate!

Chimp-with-huge-balls.jpg

fat_woman_with_fat_hanging_out_of_dress.gif

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
no I'm not ready to link the rear with coil overs just yet...

I went to Deaver and ordered a spring pack for the Raptor! My problems with the rear are:

to stiff when unloaded
works great with some weight but blows thought the stoke if pushed
not very progressive. Just an F150 leaf pack minus a leaf.
bounces around like a pogo-stick esp with the front lifted

Should be about 2 weeks or so...I'll keep everyone up to date and post pics of the leaf pack before they get put on

I win.

....and I'm totally interested in this as well. Looking forward to your review!

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hats off

^^^^
She skeers me, and I ain't afraid of NOTHIN! <G>

What ever happened to "If it works, don't fix it" B?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I think it is safe to say that you use your Raptor in a more Raptor like way than any of us. You are like the "Zen of Raptordom." And in your case, I think the answer to that question is that "It DOESN'T work." I just find it kind of funny that people are ribbing you because you are tweaking the suspension of a 45,000.00 truck. Last time I checked... it was YOUR 45,000, right? <GG>

I think it is cool that you aren't afraid to take a wrench (And hammer. And welding rod. And cutting torch... <G>) to your beast. You are proving the fact that 'One size does NOT fit all' IMHO.

That said, my point (I actually do have one) is that one size doesn't fit all. For example, the Raptor was tuned to the desert for desert racing. Cool. ESPECIALLY if you live in or close to the desert. But there is a half a Country that doesn't - yours truly included.

Obviously, that didn't stop me and a Sh*tload of other folks from ordering a Raptor. But it would sure have been nice if Ford realized this (acutally, I am sure they did, because they are NOT stupid by any means and did make some minor tweaks... i.e. the compound in the tires was softened largely to improve snow and mud performance). But it is still a desert racer.

Brian is smart and fearless enough to hack away on his machine to make it more suited to what he wants to do with it. And judging by his skid plate... none to soon <G>. I am pretty sure I am NOT smart enough. I mean, if it's a tractor or a baler that needs tweaking... hand me a torch and a hammer and stand back. But it puckers me up to think about even getting close to my Raptor with a lit torch <G>.

But given my situation... I am lucky to be able to order one at all. Not to bitch or whine or give any impression of it... but disabled Vets don't have the ability to work more and earn more - pretty much a fixed income. Point being is that I am loath to start radically 'adjusting' my Raptor because I just can't afford to take the chance of ******** it up.

ERGO... (<--- such a great word, ergo <G>) I would have really appreciated if Ford had made some considerations for those of us that are NOT going to use the Raptor as a Desert racer (unless I get to the desert.. then look out! Literally.. <G>)

For example... tires suited for Mud instead of sand as a primary medium would have been an option I would have been all over. But as far as taking off $1,000 dollars worth of tires, selling them on e-bay and then trying to research and post-engineer a set of mud tires that look as good and perform on and off road as good as the original tires... it's just not going to happen.

I think you have to have been born in or lived in a small town in the midwest to appreciate this... but getting stuck in the mud is a BIG deal where I come from. If you get your truck buried, it's all over town in a matter of hours. No big deal, in the big scheme of things... but amongst us Rednecks it is a matter of pride and honor to be the one pulling someone OUT instead of being pulled out of the mud yourself. And God forbid it is a Chevy pulling you out. Small town America... drives Fords.

Taking a Raptor into my hometown will generate enough envy among the Chevy and Dodge runners, I am sure that that "FORD" eblazoned across my grill will be a source of good natured ribbing at the tavern. But GOD forbid that it is ever seen in the rearview mirror of a Chevy pulling me out. Like I said... you have to be from a small town in the mid-west to appreciate what I am saying here... I don't know if desert rats have the same situation or not. But if you are from the mid-west, I'll bet you a beer that you understand EXACTLY what I am saying.

One of the great things about this board - is that the people that DO have the disposable income I used to have are more than willing to share their successes and failures with us. With pictures <G>. That is an incredible asset to all of us, and especially folks like me. I would NEVER have taken my dash apart to rig a 2nd USB port... but now that it has been done and discussed on this board... I just might.

Enough of my ramblings... but I started, and I guess will finish this with the desire to thank folks like Brian for doing what you do... and sharing your experience. Hats off to you guys!

Falcon

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
It's like all my motocross bikes...they are built to try and do everything well. Every motocross bike I get goes into the suspension shop to have everything revalved to my specifics of ability, weight and the type of riding I do. The Raptor is an awesome truck for sure but it was built to appeal to the masses and as I get more seat time and learn the limitations of the truck I see where there may be some room for improvement. Contrary to popular belief the Raptor is not a race truck or even a legit prerunner from the factory...but that's not the intention of the truck either!! It's a awesome truck that you can drive in comfort to any offroad area of your choice and have fun in comfort and have it towed to a Ford dealer if you break your axle!!! It will go
faster than a jeep on the open stuff and rock crawl in more gnarly stuff than a prerunner and I can take it to a valet to be parked in front next to bimmers benzes and porsches!! That's the most amazing truck in the world IMO!!

with that being said I've tried a few things to solve the minor issues I have and I have been lucky so far...but that's me. I'm all down for open discussion and I welcome all debate on the mods. I don't take anyones opinion personal and I try to have an open mind and be as honest as possible to the affects on the truck. I'm only doing this for you guys I the name of science!!!

As soon as the warranty is up all bets are off!!! Long-travel 4 link crate engine roll cage etc....

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Love the attitude B. Its what makes you, in my opinion, perhaps the world's foremost customer-authority on the Raptor, bar none.

Glad to have ya here dude. And glad to know you... even despite the fact that you like to hang out with that Kyle guy.

:mrgreen:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I went to Deaver and ordered a spring pack for the Raptor! My problems with the rear are:

to stiff when unloaded
works great with some weight but blows thought the stoke if pushed
not very progressive. Just an F150 leaf pack minus a leaf.
bounces around like a pogo-stick esp with the front lifted

Should be about 2 weeks or so...I'll keep everyone up to date and post pics of the leaf pack before they get put on

So what exactly did you tell Deaver you wanted? Will you get an increase in payload capability out of it? Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'm staying with the stock height with a larger payload capacity. They are right down the street so once I get them on they can fine tune it if need be.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does a Raptor look like with a 1000 pounds in the bed, just curiosity.

So you're looking for increased load carrying capacity and its also going to ride better? That sounds interesting, hope it works out good for you.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^^

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I think it is safe to say that you use your Raptor in a more Raptor like way than any of us. You are like the "Zen of Raptordom."

I think it is cool that you aren't afraid to take a wrench (And hammer. And welding rod. And cutting torch... <G>) to your beast. You are proving the fact that 'One size does NOT fit all' IMHO.

Brian is smart and fearless enough to hack away on his machine to make it more suited to what he wants to do with it. And judging by his skid plate... none to soon <G>.

...are more than willing to share their successes and failures with us. With pictures <G>. That is an incredible asset to all of us, and especially folks like me.

Enough of my ramblings... but I started, and I guess will finish this with the desire to thank folks like Brian for doing what you do... and sharing your experience. Hats off to you guys!

Falcon
[/LEFT]

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

And funny story about valet parking B... a couple of weeks ago I visited my dentist in Brentwood, CA. An old friend who is now a "dentist to the stars" :)

Anyway, you have to valet park in his neighborhood and usually right up front they park some kind of exotic Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW... when I say "exotic" I'm talking about the models you usually only see in the magazines.

So I drop off the Raptor... and when I come out, guess where they parked it?

RIGHT IN FRONT!

Parking for an hour is something like $20... so imagine my surprise when I go to the valet desk and the guy tells me "no charge". He says the owner of the lot signed for "cool red truck" and told them not to charge me for parking! I said " ummm... well OK, if you say free I'm not going to argue..."

Then I get in my Raptor... and parked on the other side is a bright red Ferrari F430 F1 Coupe!!!:D

I smiled almost all the way back to Vegas... I wonder if the Ferrari owner appreciated that I left first so he had the front spot when he got back? LOL

Sorry for the thread jack B... I can't wait to see the Deaver mod. Maybe we can head back to Afton Road and see how it works?

TehKing

I'll stuff you all in the crust!
Reaction score
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

And funny story about valet parking B... a couple of weeks ago I visited my dentist in Brentwood, CA. An old friend who is now a "dentist to the stars" :)

Anyway, you have to valet park in his neighborhood and usually right up front they park some kind of exotic Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW... when I say "exotic" I'm talking about the models you usually only see in the magazines.

So I drop off the Raptor... and when I come out, guess where they parked it?

RIGHT IN FRONT!

Parking for an hour is something like $20... so imagine my surprise when I go to the valet desk and the guy tells me "no charge". He says the owner of the lot signed for "cool red truck" and told them not to charge me for parking! I said " ummm... well OK, if you say free I'm not going to argue..."

Then I get in my Raptor... and parked on the other side is a bright red Ferrari F430 F1 Coupe!!!:D

I smiled almost all the way back to Vegas... I wonder if the Ferrari owner appreciated that I left first so he had the front spot when he got back? LOL

Sorry for the thread jack B... I can't wait to see the Deaver mod. Maybe we can head back to Afton Road and see how it works?

Awesome! You probably had a **** eating grin all the way back to Vegas. I know I would have.

:cool: