Wanted Camburg Mid travel until I priced HM Long Travel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully priced out a Camburg "Long travel kit", then was told to check out HM.

I looked at Camburg, SVC, Foutz, Evil, Blitz and a few others. I did not like the look of a bent or crooked arm as some have, I know it is cheaper and faster to manufacture but I wanted a specific look. This shouldn’t have mattered as performance should have been my focus. Some call theirs long travel but use the stock shock bucket and a 8” stroke shock, W?F? I wanted long travel but needed to understand all the “Marketing” verbiage they use on their sites. The way some websites are set up, it seems that a “Bolt on kit” is the lowest cost, UNTIL you add the shocks, bypass shocks, bump kit with bump stops and bypass shock mounts, extended axel shaft’s etc. Some come with a new spindle, and some do not. That’s when you start to head down the Long Travel vs Mid Travel and 8” stroke vs 12” stroke rabbit hole. This is when the real learning began. For example, I was considering a Camburg or SVC front suspension. Camburg called their kit Long Travel, but it is only 1.5” wider than stock per side and uses a 8” stroke shock and the stock shock bucket which is prone to cracking under heavy use. Today the Camburg kit costs $16,572 for KING Coil overs, bypass shocks, slapper bump kit with king bumps and bypass shock mount. It uses the fragile stock spindle. It looks like they were designing a new spindle, not sure if they finished it. ADD made a spindle that was around $3K. Now an apple-to-apple comparison is more like $19,572. I do like the way their kit is with the slapper arm and you can slowly add to it. but that is where the similarities end. That is what a TRUE long travel system made from 4130 chromoly with 12” stroke shocks, complete chromoly shock mounts that replace the stock fragile shock buckets, a chromoly brace that ties both shock mounts together and comes with a spindle too. Also what material is each part made from, Only a few use 4130 chromoly on all components, If their site doesn’t say 4130 chromoly, run.

Full build thread here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
06z

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why Camburg calls it long travel as it still utilizes the stock shock bucket and 8" stroke shock. Should be a Mid Travel Kit. My guess is marketing mumbo jumbo. For someone new, they wouldn't know the difference. I almost fell for it myself :lolnono:.

mlax

Reaction score
HM for sure knows what they are doing and Kevin is a great guy. I wouldnt go as far thou and say the other stuff is crap or straight up worse - having recently driven both, Raptors with SVC kits and Camburg kits on them, i found them both excellent. Stock spindles for example are much easier to find than custom stuff if you need it and actually break something. Not an issue if its just in an OHV but for folks going to e.g. Baja a lot, this can be an advantage.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HM for sure knows what they are doing and Kevin is a great guy. I wouldnt go as far thou and say the other stuff is crap or straight up worse - having recently driven both, Raptors with SVC kits and Camburg kits on them, i found them both excellent. Stock spindles for example are much easier to find than custom stuff if you need it and actually break something. Not an issue if its just in an OHV but for folks going to e.g. Baja a lot, this can be an advantage.
true. but hes right about the marketing...

long travel should mean stepping up to a 10" plus shock, with new top mounting..

mid travel is more of a bolt on with stock OEM shock buckets/frame mounting.

chances are, if youve broke/bent any of the aftermarket MID/LONG travel spindles, you have other larger more expensive issues to deal with along with a bent spindle...

HM seems to have the best kit out there, but is this something the DIY'er can do at home? do they sell the complete kit, or does it require it be installed by them?

I never even thought about anything other than RPG Bolt kit until I saw this silver supercab with 40s on it... lol

OP
OP
06z

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well I will have to disagree with you. First I never said they were crap. Have you driven a SVC, HM built truck back to back? If not, Then you don't understand how much of a difference there is. I have and the difference is astonishing. Massive difference in turning radius, the sway the SVC truck has is massive compared to HM's. Like I said in the Video, if the other shops would drive a HM built truck, they would ask themselves, Why does anyone buy our kit?

SVC hasn't always added support plates to the frame. I remember a video where SVC said it's not something they will do. Now they do it.

I know of a RPG built truck with a bolt kit that has a bent frame right where HM adds those plates as they KNOW what would happen. All the racing HM has done with Raptors has given them a knowledge base on the F150, Raptor platform that no other Manufacturer has.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kevin knows his shit.. Its the best front set up for sure. I dont consider it a "kit" as its more of a race fab set up that he can re-produce on a Raptor VS a bolt on kit.
I asked him a year ago if he would ever sell a DIY kit, and he did think about it, but not sure he wants his stuff out there where a ****** installer can screw it up and then flame HM for their mistakes.

mlax

Reaction score
Well I will have to disagree with you. First I never said they were crap. Have you driven a SVC, HM built truck back to back? If not, Then you don't understand how much of a difference there is. I have and the difference is astonishing. Massive difference in turning radius, the sway the SVC truck has is massive compared to HM's. Like I said in the Video, if the other shops would drive a HM built truck, they would ask themselves, Why does anyone buy our kit?

SVC hasn't always added support plates to the frame. I remember a video where SVC said it's not something they will do. Now they do it.

I know of a RPG built truck with a bolt kit that has a bent frame right where HM adds those plates as they KNOW what would happen. All the racing HM has done with Raptors has given them a knowledge base on the F150, Raptor platform that no other Manufacturer has.

Can you give a ballpark what you paid for the whole project? (Front & Rear, fuel cell etc.)