Window spots only where wipers wipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIGW0RM

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is what I am seeing when it rains and I have to use the wipers. As they wipe, my window becomes full of these blotches. Which make it very hard to see out of.

I just used some window cleaner and a window cleaning towel to clean the windows before I clay bar them. This was a couple passes with my dry towel. I see the same thing using my wipers. The blotches do disappear. But not until the window is fully dry.

If I spay my BMW or RRS windows with the same spray and towel, they get wet, but NO blotches and wipe dry and clear. But for whatever reason, this ford window blotches like this and those blotches hang around for a long time until they dry up. So when driving in the rain, you cant see shit! It becomes a blurry cheetah pattern of blotches. The blotches show up all over the glass EXCEPT the last 1" until it hits the body. Its clear there. So I can see a perfect line between blotch and no blotch along the perimeter of my glass.

Wet window
IMG_2424.JPG

once the blotches dissipate away 30 seconds later, it looks clear as can be like this.
IMG_2430.jpg

Im starting to wonder if this is some kind of layer in the glass? Because I dont see anything on my glass inside or out. But once wet, I see those blotches where you wipe the glass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIGW0RM

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like hard water to me. It's not the glass. It some sort of contamination.

Clay Bar should get that out.

Thank you. It does look like hard water. But the window face is smooth as can be and crystal clear when dry. So if it is, this is the most ghost like hard water I have ever seen. And I did clay the driver portion. I probably made 10 passes on a spot and it made zero difference. I will probably try a polish next.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. It does look like hard water. But the window face is smooth as can be and crystal clear when dry. So if it is, this is the most ghost like hard water I have ever seen. And I did clay the driver portion. I probably made 10 passes on a spot and it made zero difference. I will probably try a polish next.
interesting. It is temperature related meaning, Do you notice it more when it's cooler or warmer or does it matter. It's there all the time.

OP
OP
BIGW0RM

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. It is temperature related meaning, Do you notice it more when it's cooler or warmer or does it matter. It's there all the time.

We first noticed it the second we saw our first rain. Window is crystal clear on sunny days. But I have not really wet my window on a sunny day to test and see if I see those blotches.

At first I thought the blotches where only where the wipers touch the glass. But after testing the window outside of the wiper area, I now see that those blotches cover the entire window 100% except for the last 1" around the perimeter of the window. There is a clear sharp line between no blotches and the blotchy zone inside of perimeter.

It makes me wonder if this is some kind of laminted glass issue that between water, humidity and wipe pressure on the window somehow cause these blotches.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now see that those blotches cover the entire window 100% except for the last 1" around the perimeter of the window. There is a clear sharp line between no blotches and the blotchy zone inside of perimeter.
This would make me believe that it’s a laminate issue. Have you discussed it with your dealership? If it wasn’t a warrantied item I think I would have to replace the windshield as that would drive me nuts trying to see out in the rain.

Reaction score
I have exact same issue. Just dropped it off at my detailer today to see what he can do. My story was, last summer had to get my 22 AMB windshield replaced after rock chip crack on trip coming back from Raptor assault. Dealer had original part installed by local glass guy, which was perfect. But then it sat on dealer lot, waiting for correct headlight replacement which never came (they put 21 headlights in my 22), all the while baking in Dallas sun for 3 months of rain water spots. Idiots didnt even pull off the tape from the windshield install months prior. Ever since I got in it first time after that debacle, it had those water spots on the glass, only show up in rain after wiper wipes.

I really think its pitted or hard water. Going to try clay bar and buffing glass to see if it can be removed by detailer. Total mess. Hoping it will just get better over time or maybe rainx will hide it...

Good Luck!

OP
OP
BIGW0RM

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have exact same issue. Just dropped it off at my detailer today to see what he can do. My story was, last summer had to get my 22 AMB windshield replaced after rock chip crack on trip coming back from Raptor assault. Dealer had original part installed by local glass guy, which was perfect. But then it sat on dealer lot, waiting for correct headlight replacement which never came (they put 21 headlights in my 22), all the while baking in Dallas sun for 3 months of rain water spots. Idiots didnt even pull off the tape from the windshield install months prior. Ever since I got in it first time after that debacle, it had those water spots on the glass, only show up in rain after wiper wipes.

I really think its pitted or hard water. Going to try clay bar and buffing glass to see if it can be removed by detailer. Total mess. Hoping it will just get better over time or maybe rainx will hide it...

Good Luck!

I used 3" DA buffed mine with a glass stripper, no change.

I then clay bared it. No change

I tried hardwater remover and used my 3" DA, no change.

And if you look at your window closely, the blurry spots have a very clean straight edge all around the window perimeter That makes me think its something inside the glass rather than outside of it.

Ive had many cars get hit with our sprinklers. We have really bad hard water here in SOCAL. I have experience with hard water stains. I do not think this is HW stains. I think its something to do with the glass.