Why so much oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a crap load of oil especially considering the superchager has its own water coolant capacity. It better have an oil filter off a Peterbilt. A 5.2 isn't really a "big engine" I expect it to have more like 8 quarts. I couldn't remember if this version or any version of this motor was dry sump or not.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My GT350 takes 10-10.5 and the GT500 takes 11.5, same as the R. So it has nothing to do with angles really. They redesigned the oil pan and pickup compared to the 500 though to better handle high angle off roading versus the high cornering g’s the 500 sees.

I think it has more to do with more stable oil temps since the larger fluid volume has more heat capacity.

OP
OP
R

rao26

Reaction score
That is a crap load of oil especially considering the superchager has its own water coolant capacity. It better have an oil filter off a Peterbilt. A 5.2 isn't really a "big engine" I expect it to have more like 8 quarts. I couldn't remember if this version or any version of this motor was dry sump or not.
The oil filter actually seems pretty small compared to what I expected

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Its for the offroad use and angles period. It's a tiny engine especially for a v8

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GT350 takes 10-10.5 and the GT500 takes 11.5, same as the R. So it has nothing to do with angles really. They redesigned the oil pan and pickup compared to the 500 though to better handle high angle off roading versus the high cornering g’s the 500 sees.

I think it has more to do with more stable oil temps since the larger fluid volume has more heat capacity.
Ford performance claims it's for the angles and offroading. Just passing info.

Let's get back to what you said on stable oil, not true. Fluid dynamics 101- more fluid- more heat soak and that heat takes longer to de rease under a severe load. If you wanted to decrease heat fast then you would want a larger cooler and less oil as possible. Example:
My mclaren 600 only uses 7 quarts and it's a v8. The oil cooler is massive.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Its for the offroad use and angles period. It's a tiny engine especially for a v8
Neither the 3.5 nor 5.2 are “tiny” engines; displacement and physical size and not interchangeable. Both are DOHC and have VCT on all 4 cams. The 3.5 also has 2 turbos to feed oil too as well; both require a significant volume of oil to ensure full oil volume and pressure is available to all lubricated components from top to bottom while keeping the sump fully submerged, even under extreme conditions.

A large displacement engine like a 7.3, which is actually physically smaller than a 5.2, takes only 8 quarts. It’s OHV, so it only needs to supply oil to the bottom end, fill the lifter oil galley, and supply a single VCT unit.

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are tiny engines for the cylinder displacement. Any engine builder would tend to agree. Normal to large v8"s are 7.3 and higher. The 5.2 is small- not talking bad it is what it is. Shoot back in the day 4.3l etc were the typical v6's.
I'm just passing info on what fp said about the oil capacity. It's crazy because my 6.7 diesel holds not much more essentially.
On a side note- my rs5 is a micro size 2.9l v6- oil capacity? 8 quarts. It's a porsche engine and no idea why they use this much.
Neither the 3.5 nor 5.2 are “tiny” engines; displacement and physical size and not interchangeable. Both are DOHC and have VCT on all 4 cams. The 3.5 also has 2 turbos to feed oil too as well; both require a significant volume of oil to ensure full oil volume and pressure is available to all lubricated components from top to bottom while keeping the sump fully submerged, even under extreme conditions.

A large displacement engine like a 7.3, which is actually physically smaller than a 5.2, takes only 8 quarts. It’s OHV, so it only needs to supply oil to the bottom end, fill the lifter oil galley, and supply a single VCT unit.