What Kinetic rope do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Even with something like this?
View attachment 457658
Are you pulling something on flat, level ground with that, or trying to get something(s) or someone(s) unstuck using a kinetic rope?

You’re ok for the former, but the trailer hitch assembly isn’t meant for snatching 2-3 TON trucks out of predicaments that resulted in them getting stuck.
The trailer hitch ball assembly was the weak point, now, you’ve attached a stronger piece there. Can you predict what the new weak link in this “circuit” is?

Use the tow hooks.

STHenry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never use a hitch to pull someone out. If you have never used a Kinetic rope I recommend you research and learn from others mistakes. Saw a post on the Bronco forum that was eyeopening in regards to using these. I carry Freedom Rope.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you pulling something on flat, level ground with that, or trying to get something(s) or someone(s) unstuck using a kinetic rope?

You’re ok for the former, but the trailer hitch assembly isn’t meant for snatching 2-3 TON trucks out of predicaments that resulted in them getting stuck.
The trailer hitch ball assembly was the weak point, now, you’ve attached a stronger piece there. Can you predict what the new weak link in this “circuit” is?

Use the tow hooks.

even the tow hooks can be suboptimal.. the welds need to be inspected, as i remember some reports of rear tow hooks coming off..

i like hitch mounted shackle, then you should be concerned about the pin... but def not a tow ball unless the rope is all wrapped around and the ball isnt really getting all the load..

plenty of fail vids on the internet... I filmed one a couple years ago.. the flying part of the bumper, soft shackle and rope missed 3 people standing there, my truck, 8 other trucks with random people standing in between and hit a tire (small slit in sidewall/tread) and came to rest.. we got super luckyScreenshot_20240714_234810.jpg

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
freedom ropes is a good option. they also are part of the jerk pirates. a group in pismo beach that come and pull out stuck vehicles in the sand dunes for free. instead of a $600 tow. i have their big rope.
Jerk pirates? Is that the club you and @Oldfart formed during circles with the goats? Lol

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never use a hitch ball to pull someone out. Here’s a good example of why that’s a terrible idea. This guy was off-roading with his family having a good time, until the hitch broke and caved in his face.

IMG_6828.jpegIMG_6829.jpeg

Here’s a good break down of the events.