What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least I tried, took advantage of the weather this weekend to try to swap out valve springs as preventative maintenance. Didn't work out so well. Since I had two days to work on it and all 16 springs, I went ahead and pulled both valve covers, all 8 lower plugs and all 4 rocker shafts (mistake #1, shoulda just tried one side)

:rage:
Let me get this straight...

You ripped your valve springs out, or tried... as PREVENTATIVE maintenance? No signs or symptoms of something amiss. Nothing weird happening?

THAT, dear sir, is impressive. Not something I'm going to start doing as a matter of normal course, but impressive nonetheless.

Is there some known issue on the 6.2? Or were you just feeling it?

Oh, and if you are looking for opinion, mine runs to rebuilding with forced induction.

You definitely won this thread for the weekend.

:)

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight...

You ripped your valve springs out, or tried... as PREVENTATIVE maintenance? No signs or symptoms of something amiss. Nothing weird happening?

THAT, dear sir, is impressive. Not something I'm going to start doing as a matter of normal course, but impressive nonetheless.

Is there some known issue on the 6.2? Or were you just feeling it?

Oh, and if you are looking for opinion, mine runs to rebuilding with forced induction.

You definitely want this thread for the weekend.

:)
Yes exactly, broken valve springs is really the only semi-common problem I've heard about on 6.2's (aside from oil pump gears on supercharged engines), and two members on here had it grenade at right around 190-192k miles. Once one lets go you've got about a 50/50 chance of just a misfire, or hole in your block. I'm pretty fond of mine heh, swapping in a good used 6.2 doesn't sound that appealing. Chances are good they won't fail but, my luck sometimes haha! Anyway I'm hoping if I can figure it out I can pay it forward with a detailed thread, tool loan, or help doing it...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes exactly, broken valve springs is really the only semi-common problem I've heard about on 6.2's (aside from oil pump gears on supercharged engines), and two members on here had it grenade at right around 190-192k miles. Once one lets go you've got about a 50/50 chance of just a misfire, or hole in your block. I'm pretty fond of mine heh, swapping in a good used 6.2 doesn't sound that appealing. Chances are good they won't fail but, my luck sometimes haha! Anyway I'm hoping if I can figure it out I can pay it forward with a detailed thread, tool loan, or help doing it...
And, not to mention, it's really hard to get a rebuilt engine for these now and will be even tougher later on. This is on my list of things to do after 175,000 miles, whether your detailed thread allows me to do it myself or I have to pay to have it done. Also curious what the flat rate is for this. @FordTechOne I know this isn't a ttv6 but do you have any advice :)

WHBD

Reaction score
You should check out the sunrise tactical under seal Molle panels.....
Thay are awesome! I have them for both seats on the rear.

Amen. I love them. I have their back of the front seat molle covers as well as the invictus head rest ones. MCB looks pretty amazing with this interior. Maybe even more important, I went with the Sunrise version that covers the back seat; an absolute must for saving that leather from dog claws and kids.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, not to mention, it's really hard to get a rebuilt engine for these now and will be even tougher later on. This is on my list of things to do after 175,000 miles, whether your detailed thread allows me to do it myself or I have to pay to have it done. Also curious what the flat rate is for this. @FordTechOne I know this isn't a ttv6 but do you have any advice :)
They actually don’t list a warranty time for valve springs for whatever reason. WSM doesn’t specify a valve spring compressor tool, but I did see that Freedom Racing sells one specifically for the 6.2.