What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am but this is the first Ive seen anyone have an issue like this. You were on bottom perch and this happened? Miles? Any hard jumps?

Yes bottom perch, about 8000 miles. Depends on what you mean by hard jumps. It has been off the ground quite a bit, I have bottomed it out before, harder landings. etc. but Im not going for big air. Basically the typical jump from my experience, although I don’t know what you west coast guys call jumps.

If I had to guess it is either the spring hat was defective or the springs are too stiff. They were new replacement top hats when I did the new springs so anything is possible.

I do know that the damage all points to the issue causing excessive droop. The ball joint rotated outward on full droop, dented the aluminum upper control arm, dented the ball joint housing, forced the control arm to lightly touch the spring, control arm touching the frame at the attachment points. Either way both options seem plausible: stiff spring or faulty spring hat.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were new replacement top hats when I did the new springs so anything is possible.
Interesting. I wonder if Ford is using a different supplier compared to OEM. Why did you swap the OEM hats out when the springs went in?

Looks like you've been using it right!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if Ford is using a different supplier compared to OEM. Why did you swap the OEM hats out when the springs went in?

Looks like you've been using it right!

I will clean up the shock hats I took off and try to see what I can figure out about them brand wise, etc.

It is kind of a long story, here is the shortened version:

Wanted to go mid perch on my original factory shocks but broke off an Allen key in the set screw. Allen key was titanium nitride and so were my drill bits so I could drill it out.

So I went geiser’s with the intent on using them on my original factory shocks.

Went to swap springs and noticed a pretty good amount of rust on the stock shock shaft threads. Upon removal of the retaining nut I decided to replace the front shocks rather than rebuild them and install a new shock shaft. Plan was to just keep the factory shocks on it and enjoy the truck as is in regards to suspension................... LOL

Bought new factory replacement shocks and decided to install geisers on them vs mid perch. Since new shocks had a new lower bushing I decided to install new spring hats with new bushings, isolator, etc.

Thanks, I try to. More limited options for us on the east coast/ mid west, but it has been fun thus far. Will be looking to do some destination runs in the future.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my custom Evil MFG Hellion bumper. Raw finish so I can powdercoat to match the flares, rings and rear bumper. The ends will go all the way out to the flares, no push bar and I had them cut holes for flush mount BD Squadron Sports in amber. First one they've done like that

IMG_20200930_104641.jpg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Picked up my custom Evil MFG Hellion bumper. Raw finish so I can powdercoat to match the flares, rings and rear bumper. The ends will go all the way out to the flares, no push bar and I had them cut holes for flush mount BD Squadron Sports in amber. First one they've done like that

View attachment 152934

Flush mount the squadrons in the skid plate?

I have been partial to the bumper for a while and definitely like it with the wrap around top tube. Interested to see it with the lights and on the truck.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flush mount the squadrons in the skid plate?

I have been partial to the bumper for a while and definitely like it with the wrap around top tube. Interested to see it with the lights and on the truck.
I first saw the bumper on the @dunewhore truck and then @raptor.213 on IG. He has lights underneath as well but he bolted them on. This is @dunewhore with regular length tube but added the push bar with light mounts, as well as many other goodies.

Screenshot_20200930-163536.jpg

I wont see the bumper until Sunday but I imagine they will be in the smaller skid plate section next to the main skid plate, probably right here:

Untitled.png

with this Squadron:

551013_n.jpg

Im thinking Im gonna do the whole bumper in evo grey but need to see it in person first. Doug at Evil was awesome. He can do whatever you want to customize it.

Here is a Toyota they did with the smaller BD S2s

Screenshot_20200930-162718.jpg

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I first saw the bumper on the @dunewhore truck and then @raptor.213 on IG. He has lights underneath as well but he bolted them on. This is @dunewhore with regular length tube but added the push bar with light mounts, as well as many other goodies.

View attachment 152942

I wont see the bumper until Sunday but I imagine they will be in the smaller skid plate section next to the main skid plate, probably right here:

View attachment 152943

with this Squadron:

551013_n.jpg

Im thinking Im gonna do the whole bumper in evo grey but need to see it in person first. Doug at Evil was awesome. He can do whatever you want to customize it.

Here is a Toyota they did with the smaller BD S2s

View attachment 152941

I have emailed back and forth with Doug before. Seems like a good dude, and is pretty quick to respond.Im excited to see what yours ends up looking like.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the bumper on yesterday..

20201001_113404.jpg

Bad pic I know.. took it for a wheel alignment and turns out my UCAs are toast and upper and lower ball joints are done as well. So off to Ford for some much needed work.

Worst part is the tire shop I took it to wouldn't even do the alignment.. just gave it back and said it needs work.