What are you doing with your old truck? Trade it or try to sell it yourself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2019 802a, beadlocks, recaro, 22k on the odometer for 68k to the Ford dealership. They have it listed for 79k. Will someone actually pay anything over 70 for it?

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are most of you handling the trade you have? When ordering so far in advance are you going to try and sell it on your own or work out a trade when your new Raptor comes in? Thanks
What I've often done myself is run my private party sale through the dealership. That way I get the tax breaks, and higher price for my truck.

Many dealers are willing to do this, as they can often snatch the financing on the private party sale, earning them money. One dealer I did this with charged me a $500 inspection Fee, even though my truck was still in warranty lol.
However it still worked out to the plus for me in the thousands. It would be worth it to ask your dealer if they are willing to let you do that... just my 0.2

HookEm

Reaction score
I've still got my Gen 1 SCAB which is in great condition, 60k miles, and has the Whipple. You think it makes sense to sell or trade it? Honestly I'm thinking of keeping it although I don't really have room for two of these beasts.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I've often done myself is run my private party sale through the dealership. That way I get the tax breaks, and higher price for my truck.

Many dealers are willing to do this, as they can often snatch the financing on the private party sale, earning them money. One dealer I did this with charged me a $500 inspection Fee, even though my truck was still in warranty lol.
However it still worked out to the plus for me in the thousands. It would be worth it to ask your dealer if they are willing to let you do that...
This sounds like trading in with extra steps lol. It makes sense but you would have to find a buyer willing to finance through the dealership then? Or are you essentially just giving them $500 to handle all the paper work

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning to sell it outright but my daughter told me today that my son-in-law wants it and I would love for it to stay in the family.

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like trading in with extra steps lol. It makes sense but you would have to find a buyer willing to finance through the dealership then? Or are you essentially just giving them $500 to handle all the paper work
It's really not any extra work. I just told the people that wanted to buy my vehicle, (I've done this now 3 times), that, just like you said, all the paperwork will be taken care of on the spot, and all they have to do is show up and drive away with their new truck.

So there is no cost to the buyer, and 2 times I did this the dealership did not charge me anything to do it... one did, hence the 500... but that was on me... In fact I used it as a selling point that I was going to pay the dealership $500 to have the car thoroughly evaluated for them prior to the sale...lol!
And there is no requirement that they finance the vehicle there...It's up to the sales person to convince them to finance the vehicle through them, BUT every time I have done this, the dealership has beat the rate they were going to use. So it was a win, at least in these situations for my sales.

Anyway, just thought I would throw out my methodology to the op

Last edited:

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning to sell it outright but my daughter told me today that my son-in-law wants it and I would love for it to stay in the family.
Until it breaks down, and you get blamed... While it sounds great to keep it in the family, I've done this before, and I'll never do it again because of what I just said...

But it'll probably be a sweet deal for your son-in-law, because you've probably taken great care of the truck. Good luck

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until it breaks down, and you get blamed... While it sounds great to keep it in the family, I've done this before, and I'll never do it again because of what I just said...

But it'll probably be a sweet deal for your son-in-law, because you've probably taken great care of the truck. Good luck
I hear what your saying. I wouldn't want to be in that position and I know it could happen even though it has been meticulously maintained. It is mechanical/electrical... :)

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love that some think the Gen2 prices will “plummet” now the Gen3 is out. It isn’t out. You have to find a dealer willing to sell you one for MSRP or pay ADM… then, wait at least 3 months minimum. So that $75-83k truck is now $85-93. Makes a low mileage loaded Gen2 at $75 not so bad. There are only 2500 being built this year, and 22’s won’t be built until next year. Supply and demand… and supply will be low for a while.
I am trading mine now. They will hold the trade credit for 1 year. Hopefully mine will be delivered in Sept/Oct.
No ADM on my new 37.

Side note… Drove through a local Ford dealer lot today (wanted to see a color)… not one new F150, 250 on the lot and only a dozen used trucks. This supply crunch is here for a while.