Weird noise after RPMs drop after cold start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, you got 60k miles of motor warranty. My experience doing 100k on a Gen 2 and 37k on a Gen 3 is that these things are high strung and make strange noises and act up at times. Raptor mystique.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
No, it was more of a dry sharp door hinge squeak. I looked under the hood at the waste gate actuator as it moved it made the noise. They should not make those types of noises. Why does one side do it and not the other??????? Why don't all the trucks make the same noise????
So I looked at both actuators when the truck idols after cold start and they both make the same noise simultaneously. How long ago did they replace em for you? According to the TSB that ford revised a couple months ago, it states unless there is DTC codes that say to replace the turbos and shows the turbo is malfunctioning ford won’t replace em, and that the noise is normal. This was the BS reasoning I got from the ford tech the other day when I brought it in. I agree with you that noise isn’t normal, as I would have heard this from day one. @GCATX claims his has made the same noise since new so I don’t know if I never picked up on it until recently. You think I should try another dealership?

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked at both actuators when the truck idols after cold start and they both make the same noise simultaneously. How long ago did they replace em for you? According to the TSB that ford revised a couple months ago, it states unless there is DTC codes that say to replace the turbos and shows the turbo is malfunctioning ford won’t replace em, and that the noise is normal. This was the BS reasoning I got from the ford tech the other day when I brought it in. I agree with you that noise isn’t normal, as I would have heard this from day one. @GCATX claims his has made the same noise since new so I don’t know if I never picked up on it until recently. You think I should try another dealership?
Mine was just he driver side and it was replaced 09-23-2023. Mine would squeak every time the vehicle recognized the key (as the actuator cycled twice), every time I started the truck and every time I lightly tapped the throttle. Does yours do it when you tap the throttle? Try a different dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Mine was just he driver side and it was replaced 09-23-2023. Mine would squeak every time the vehicle recognized the key (as the actuator cycled twice), every time I started the truck and every time I lightly tapped the throttle. Does yours do it when you tap the throttle? Try a different dealer.
Ok Good to know but I think what you had going on is different. I can hear mine actuating during idling after the initial first cold start of the day. I have no noise when I tap the throttle. It honestly sounds like it’s engaging/disengaging then I hear nothing else after it idles down. I may get a second opinion here soon.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you running it in auto? I did after mine went out and I let it sit for an hour. Seems to work okay now, but I’m not confident it will hold up in the summer. At the time mine went out, it wasn’t hot out and only on a setting of 4 @ 68 degrees.
I traded in my ‘18 with 0 problems for this ‘23 that now has a couple issues. Love and learn I guess. Luckily, it’s not my daily so not a huge deal for me to take it to the dealer for a few days.
Try Auto mode at 69 degrees and don't mess with the other stuff. Mine would freeze up the evaporator and stop moving air when I used it like older vehicles. I'm not willing to let the dealer rip the dash out to fix it.
I always run it in AUTO, yes. Sometimes though I have to crank it down to LO and turn it on manually to 7 for fan speed and even then it barely works. This is when it first starts, after I've been on the road, hours into a trip or minutes across town. It doesn't matter if it's 100 degrees out or 32 degrees - the A/C simply doesn't work. My Mustang on the other hand is a little icebox while driving, but for a full size truck that could presumably have five dudes in it, there's absolutely no way it would suffice. Yet, the dealer has no answers and it "registers within limits" of how cold the air is exiting the vents. Dunno what to do at this point.