Weird noise after RPMs drop after cold start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTXShadow

Reaction score
Good question. I didn’t notice it til after I purchased my used Gen 3. Has 13k on it. Only seems to do it when I remote start. Doesn’t seem to affect anything…so far.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Good question. I didn’t notice it til after I purchased my used Gen 3. Has 13k on it. Only seems to do it when I remote start. Doesn’t seem to affect anything…so far.
Same. I have 2022 that I purchased with 5K miles. I have it now for about 18 months and just hit 11K and started noticing it about 3 weeks ago. Like you, it doesn’t effect anything and is more of an annoyance because I can’t for the life of me figure out what the hell it is. I’ve tried to search for the same noise all over the internet and can’t find one thing. Everything has to do with cam phasers, timing chain, waste gate issues, which I don’t think this noise is even close to being what I hear with those problems. I still hear it even with normal push button starts, but it is more noticeable with remote starting. I may take it to the dealer next week to see if they can tell me what it is. Problem with that is having to leave with them overnight so they can cold start it in the morning to ensure the noise replicates. anyways man thanks for chiming in, glad to know I’m not the only one that doesn’t know.

HTXShadow

Reaction score
Same. I have 2022 that I purchased with 5K miles. I have it now for about 18 months and just hit 11K and started noticing it about 3 weeks ago. Like you, it doesn’t effect anything and is more of an annoyance because I can’t for the life of me figure out what the hell it is. I’ve tried to search for the same noise all over the internet and can’t find one thing. Everything has to do with cam phasers, timing chain, waste gate issues, which I don’t think this noise is even close to being what I hear with those problems. I still hear it even with normal push button starts, but it is more noticeable with remote starting. I may take it to the dealer next week to see if they can tell me what it is. Problem with that is having to leave with them overnight so they can cold start it in the morning to ensure the noise replicates. anyways man thanks for chiming in, glad to know I’m not the only one that doesn’t know.
Definitely update this post when you find what the issue is. I need to get mine in as well, just limited on time at the moment.

HTXShadow

Reaction score
Here’s mine. Had to trim the file down to upload…does this 20sec in after remote start and again 10 sec later. Not sure if the two issues are related, but last weekend on a trip up to Ft. Worth from Houston the AC quit working 2hrs into the 5 hr trip. I had to shut it off for an hour and then I turned it back on and it worked again. Never had a problem the rest of the weekend. Going to take it in sometime this week.
View attachment IMG_3482.mov

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Here’s mine. Had to trim the file down to upload…does this 20sec in after remote start and again 10 sec later. Not sure if the two issues are related, but last weekend on a trip up to Ft. Worth from Houston the AC quit working 2hrs into the 5 hr trip. I had to shut it off for an hour and then I turned it back on and it worked again. Never had a problem the rest of the weekend. Going to take it in sometime this week.
View attachment 452926
Yep sounds identical to mine. No issues with the A/C yet though. Wonder if it could be signs of something failing. I’ll be out of town until the end of May so won’t be able to bring mine in until then. I’m moving to Florida in June so if it is something relating to the A/C I will need to get addressed before the move. Keep me posted. Much appreciated.

HTXShadow

Reaction score
Congrats on moving to the free state of Florida! I’m getting mine in before the brutal Houston heat and humidity arrives. I would have been really pissed for my AC to go out for an hour in 100+ degree heat. I’ll let you know what I find out.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Congrats on moving to the free state of Florida! I’m getting mine in before the brutal Houston heat and humidity arrives. I would have been really pissed for my AC to go out for an hour in 100+ degree heat. I’ll let you know what I find out.
Thanks man. I’m active duty military and have been itching to get out of CA. This place is a shit hole. Anyways.. so after reading your last comment I went out opened the hood and started the truck. I pinned point the noise down to the driver side turbo assembly. If you look at it why the truck runs and idles down you will see the linkage assembly on the driver side turbo (not sure if that’s even the correct nomenclature) engage/ disengage. Once this happens that’s when you hear the noise and it’s clearly coming from there. Not sure if it’s normal. Take a look at yours after you start it with the hood popped and tell me if you don’t hear and see the same thing.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Congrats on moving to the free state of Florida! I’m getting mine in before the brutal Houston heat and humidity arrives. I would have been really pissed for my AC to go out for an hour in 100+ degree heat. I’ll let you know what I
Thanks man. I’m active duty military and have been itching to get out of CA. This place is a shit hole. Anyways.. so after reading your last comment I went out opened the hood and started the truck. I pinned point the noise down to the driver side turbo assembly. If you look at it why the truck runs and idles down you will see the linkage assembly on the driver side turbo (not sure if that’s even the correct nomenclature) engage/ disengage. Once this happens that’s when you hear the noise and it’s clearly coming from there. Not sure if it’s normal. Take a look at yours after you start it with the hood popped and tell me if you don’t hear and see the same thing.
IMG_0345.jpeg

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My A/C barely cools the truck and Ford says it's normal to have it on LO with fan speed 7 and I'm sweating. No noise though. I'd give anything for decent A/C in this pig.

HTXShadow

Reaction score
Yup. That’s it. Exhaust valves is what those are…I believe. The one on my drivers side is the one making the ****** terrible noise. With the hood open, the passenger side one has a rattle too just not as noticeable…yet. Good find…I’ll point this out to the service department and see what they say?
My A/C barely cools the truck and Ford says it's normal to have it on LO with fan speed 7 and I'm sweating. No noise though. I'd give anything for decent A/C in this pig.
Are you running it in auto? I did after mine went out and I let it sit for an hour. Seems to work okay now, but I’m not confident it will hold up in the summer. At the time mine went out, it wasn’t hot out and only on a setting of 4 @ 68 degrees.
I traded in my ‘18 with 0 problems for this ‘23 that now has a couple issues. Love and learn I guess. Luckily, it’s not my daily so not a huge deal for me to take it to the dealer for a few days.