Warranty/Cobb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rappin37

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it true the warranty is voided once you crack the ECU? Has anyone had any issues after installing COBB tuner? Nervous on that warranty being voided. Thanks guys

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, when uninstalling the tuner I no longer have auto start/stop which came enabled from factory. That tells me that whatever they are doing to unlock it is changing the factory settings on the ECU. Their claim that you can completely uninstall the tuner seems to be false.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some say you can remove the flash and they'll cover it, but it's tough to say.

Depends on the issue really. I want the COBB tune as well but I'll be waiting until there are enough use cases to know how Ford will typically react to warranty claims with tuned trucks.

DFS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't the diagnostics show the flash and unflash date so there's a trace of the programming changes?

If you choose to tune, you should expect warranty to be gone. Not always the case, but change your expectations to assume it's gone, any coverage is just a bonus.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are enough tuned Gen 2 trucks now to know how Ford and most dealers respond. For example, it seems in the vast majority of cases there’s no issue having the cam phasers repaired on a tuned truck because it’s a very common issue and I haven’t seen Ford disclaim the warranty to fix cam phasers on a tuned truck.

On the other hand, if your truck is tuned and you have a motor failure, cracked piston, bent rod, rod knock, etc, I almost guarantee you’ll be left with no warranty coverage in that situation because the 3.5 is stout and we really don’t see them blowing up or having issues outside of the phasers.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are enough tuned Gen 2 trucks now to know how Ford and most dealers respond. For example, it seems in the vast majority of cases there’s no issue having the cam phasers repaired on a tuned truck because it’s a very common issue and I haven’t seen Ford disclaim the warranty to fix cam phasers on a tuned truck.

On the other hand, if your truck is tuned and you have a motor failure, cracked piston, bent rod, rod knock, etc, I almost guarantee you’ll be left with no warranty coverage in that situation because the 3.5 is stout and we really don’t see them blowing up or having issues outside of the phasers.

Yeah, this is really the right mindset. As was said, it depends on the circumstances.

Each owner will have to determine his level of desire for the aftermarket stuff, and level of acceptable risk for any issues that might arise.

Cool guy parts are cool, until they're not.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
For me, when uninstalling the tuner I no longer have auto start/stop which came enabled from factory. That tells me that whatever they are doing to unlock it is changing the factory settings on the ECU. Their claim that you can completely uninstall the tuner seems to be false.
Engine auto start/stop? I thought Gen 3's had that feature removed. Did some trucks squeak through with it?

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbh i don't trust Ford right now to void the warranty. Issues from electronics, exhaust rattles, weird noises coming from under the car ect. Just my personal opinion but i think the truck is fast enough for me.