Upgrading to a Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give a different perspective. I had a gen 2, went to a TRX and now have an R (pd sticker which was nice).

The R is a more well rounded truck than the TRX. Significantly better than the gen 2.

If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R. For me in my life I always regret not getting the biggest, baddest whatever because if I don’t, I can’t stop thinking about why I didn’t. Life is too short to worry about those little things. But if 50k is a life changing amount of money for you then you shouldn’t be looking at the R to begin with.

Final thought. The R should always bring a better ROI also since it will be the rarest version. Who knows how long they will make them.
I don’t disagree you, the truck is awesome. I don’t see this truck as fulfilling a part of my life as you do. It’s just a truck. If I do decide to keep it, I’ll enjoy it. If I decide to sell it, I won’t regret it. I caught the subtle jab about money. Not an issue :)

Last edited:

rao26

Reaction score
It's not a question of affordability, the additional 30Kish is a lot of money to upgrade a powertrain. I did own a TRX briefly, I paid invoice and the only regret I have is not selling it faster than I did. I wasn't impressed with the ride or how it handled. I used to think the R resale would be much stronger than it's V6 counterpart but i'm not so sure anymore. I see pre owned ones sitting on line for basically MSRP which probably means a wholesale value is closer to 100K. I think car prices are specific to a region, that's just my observation in Michigan.
I don’t think you’ll like the R that much if you’re satisfied with your gen 3 and didn’t like the trx. The shortcomings of the gen 3 is probably what got most of us into and R.

nelsonr103

Reaction score
A lot of people have issue with the $30k price of the R upgrade. Remember that motor alone is a little more than $30k plus you get all the other R upgrades. I love my R. Been a huge raptor fan ever since they came out. Got a 10 year maintenance and warranty plan. Couldn't be happier with this monster

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I don’t disagree you, the truck is awesome. I don’t see this truck as fulfilling a part of my life as you do. It’s just a truck. If I do decide to keep it, I’ll enjoy it. If I decide to sell it, I won’t regret it. I caught the subtle jab about money. Not an issue :)
I hear you. My allocation came up last month and is being built in Sept -- I've been chasing for years. Have Eco '23 w/ 37 now and love it. But for the $5K ADM on R it's a no brainer to get it and if not 'it' I'll build a '25 w/37 and trade it. Have to own one and scratch it off the list -- no big deal either way. Still stoked to pick it up who are we kidding--will be 7th Raptor.

Last edited:

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you. My allocation came up last month and is being built in Sept -- I've been chasing for years. Have Eco '23 w/ 37 now and love it. But for the $5K ADM on R it's a no brainer to get it and if not 'it' I'll build a '25 w/37 and trade it. Have to own one and scratch it off the list -- no big deal either way. Still stoked to pick it up who are we kidding--will be 7th Raptor.
Nice. Same boat for me, been on the list for a long time and finally was my turn. I went ahead and took it, same thought at MSRP it’s a no brainer

dvm

Reaction score
My apologies as I did not mean you can't afford it. Money is always in reference to what you find important in life instead of what you can afford. That is what I meant. For instance I would have not purchased an R over sticker. Not that I can't afford it, I just refuse to line someone else's pockets for no real reason. Some people choose to pay for tickets to events, alcohol, cigarettes and whatever. Many do not find the value in it. This is no different than the extra money you spend on the R. If you don't see value in the R, a 3.5 is already overkill for most applications.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t really have an interest in a super fast truck for 50K more. I’d rather have a much faster car than an R could ever be as an additional vehicle (which I have). Remember the R is limited to 113…lol. You’ll be passed by rental cars and gen 2 guys with a tune. I get why people buy Rs, but that is a tremendous amount of money per extra horsepower.

Likely the R will hold its value pretty well so the extra cost will have a reward 5-10 years down the line….but so does the stock market.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I don’t really have an interest in a super fast truck for 50K more. I’d rather have a much faster car than an R could ever be as an additional vehicle (which I have). Remember the R is limited to 113…lol. You’ll be passed by rental cars and gen 2 guys with a tune. I get why people buy Rs, but that is a tremendous amount of money per extra horsepower.

Likely the R will hold its value pretty well so the extra cost will have a reward 5-10 years down the line….but so does the stock market.
Over a '37 package Eco it's only about $20K more for R (assuming MSRP on both).