Upgrading to a Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been discussed, couldn't find any recent threads. Anyway i've owned one Gen 2 a couple Gen 3s. I currently have a 23 37PP. When they announced the R I tried for about a year to find or order one with no luck. Fast forward I was just called and offered one that should be here in the next week or so for 5K over. The markup doesn't excite me but I don't think it's gonna get much better. For those that have gone to an R from a Gen 3 V6 for a daily did you find the additional expense to be worth it?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited:

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's a 5k markup only I'd say that's amazing. I have seen one guy sell his R and keep his 37 saying other than power it wasn't a better vehicle for him. Nothing else to offer, I'd do it myself.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 21 with a lot of work done and just got my 24R in. I honestly don’t know if it’s worth it. It’s nice and brand new but it didnt blow my socks off when I first drove it. Don’t get me wrong it’s probably the baddest truck on the market, tons of power at your disposal. But it’s hard to explain, it’s just ok, after having the GT700 kit put on my 3.5 I’m having trouble convincing myself it’s worth 50k more.
My boss is acting like he wants to buy it from me. I don’t know what I’m going to do with it but I don’t see it staying around.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But let me add, if you can’t tune or do any work to your 3.5 (23 & 24) it’s definitely worth the upgrade

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3.5 is a better daily, but I'm sure you'll kick yourself until the end of time if you let it go. Buy it, drive it for a while, and go back to 3.5 when the Gen 4 arrives. I think that's my plan.

dvm

Reaction score
I will give a different perspective. I had a gen 2, went to a TRX and now have an R (pd sticker which was nice).

The R is a more well rounded truck than the TRX. Significantly better than the gen 2.

If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R. For me in my life I always regret not getting the biggest, baddest whatever because if I don’t, I can’t stop thinking about why I didn’t. Life is too short to worry about those little things. But if 50k is a life changing amount of money for you then you shouldn’t be looking at the R to begin with.

Final thought. The R should always bring a better ROI also since it will be the rarest version. Who knows how long they will make them.

OP
OP
D

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give a different perspective. I had a gen 2, went to a TRX and now have an R (pd sticker which was nice).

The R is a more well rounded truck than the TRX. Significantly better than the gen 2.

If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R. For me in my life I always regret not getting the biggest, baddest whatever because if I don’t, I can’t stop thinking about why I didn’t. Life is too short to worry about those little things. But if 50k is a life changing amount of money for you then you shouldn’t be looking at the R to begin with.

Final thought. The R should always bring a better ROI also since it will be the rarest version. Who knows how long they will make them.
It's not a question of affordability, the additional 30Kish is a lot of money to upgrade a powertrain. I did own a TRX briefly, I paid invoice and the only regret I have is not selling it faster than I did. I wasn't impressed with the ride or how it handled. I used to think the R resale would be much stronger than it's V6 counterpart but i'm not so sure anymore. I see pre owned ones sitting on line for basically MSRP which probably means a wholesale value is closer to 100K. I think car prices are specific to a region, that's just my observation in Michigan.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The leaned on Cyclone engine will not be as reliable as the S/C mod motor long term. Twin turbo engines have a lot more components to fail compared to a PD S/C engine. Way more hoses, tubes and places for leaks to occur. Then you have the whole timing components issue with the Cyclone engines too. 4V Mod motors never had that issue, VVT or not. The Cyclone had issues with both VVT and non VVT versions of the engine.

Last edited: