Upgrading my Gen 2->Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aurik

Reaction score
So I bought my 2018 Raptor used in late 2020, and it was well-driven (89k miles when I bought it, I added another 55k after that), and I bought it with the intention of upgrading to a Raptor R when they came available. Well, over the past few months I've called quite a few dealers, and every single one was asking $20k-$50k over sticker. I already have inquired to PaxPower about one of their conversions. I was seriously considering that, but I recently had the opportunity to test drive a 2022 with the 37PP, and it was a substantial improvement over my 2018. I wasn't able to take it off-road, of course, but even in "sport" mode, the new live valve suspension just completely absorbed every bump in the pavement. You could still feel them a bit through the steering wheel, but the ride was *smoooth*.

Unfortunately, when it came time to make a deal happen, the dealer wanted to lowball me on my trade, plus there were a few little things I wasn't sure I liked in terms of mods on the 2022, so I walked away from that deal. Fast forward a week later, and I found a brand new Antimatter Blue 802a sitting on a lot in Pueblo (about 2 hours away from me) that was available for MSRP. I checked with the sales guy, and put a deposit down on it on Wednesday, with the intention of driving down today to pay for it and take it home. Sadly, the whole Crowd Strike SNAFU also messed up my banking sites, so the money I was going to wire to my checking account to pay for it won't get there until Monday, and I'm not about to write a check for $80k+ and hope it doesn't hit my bank before the wire transfer does.

So when I go to pick up the truck, what specifically should I be looking for? Any known build quality issues that I should watch out for and be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since it's new, just make sure they didn't wash it with a metal rake.

Check tire pressures, think some come to the dealer at 50psi due to the truck delivery.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So I bought my 2018 Raptor used in late 2020, and it was well-driven (89k miles when I bought it, I added another 55k after that), and I bought it with the intention of upgrading to a Raptor R when they came available. Well, over the past few months I've called quite a few dealers, and every single one was asking $20k-$50k over sticker. I already have inquired to PaxPower about one of their conversions. I was seriously considering that, but I recently had the opportunity to test drive a 2022 with the 37PP, and it was a substantial improvement over my 2018. I wasn't able to take it off-road, of course, but even in "sport" mode, the new live valve suspension just completely absorbed every bump in the pavement. You could still feel them a bit through the steering wheel, but the ride was *smoooth*.

Unfortunately, when it came time to make a deal happen, the dealer wanted to lowball me on my trade, plus there were a few little things I wasn't sure I liked in terms of mods on the 2022, so I walked away from that deal. Fast forward a week later, and I found a brand new Antimatter Blue 802a sitting on a lot in Pueblo (about 2 hours away from me) that was available for MSRP. I checked with the sales guy, and put a deposit down on it on Wednesday, with the intention of driving down today to pay for it and take it home. Sadly, the whole Crowd Strike SNAFU also messed up my banking sites, so the money I was going to wire to my checking account to pay for it won't get there until Monday, and I'm not about to write a check for $80k+ and hope it doesn't hit my bank before the wire transfer does.

So when I go to pick up the truck, what specifically should I be looking for? Any known build quality issues that I should watch out for and be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to land a shelter green Rap well under MSRP. :p

Get a good, long test drive, check the tire pressure cold and make sure it’s not 45+psi. inspect the paint thoroughly, get pictures all around and after the test drive take a look for leaks, low fluid etc. The usual stuff.

OP
OP
Aurik

Aurik

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the heads-up on that. The tire pressure was indeed set to 48psi, and even though there were a couple dealer-installed accessories on the Monroney label, they weren't actually in the truck. So I had them give me a credit for both of those. The paint has some orange peel, but that's to be expected, and I'll be taking care of that next weekend. I've got the color-matched tonneau cover on order, and a few other goodies. Already have a weekend at Moab planned for Labor Day weekend.

ravis22

Reaction score
So I take it you already got it??? Pics? How long had it been on the lot? I came across a few at Msrp but they had hundreds of miles, which granted isn’t a lot, but they had been using it as a service truck and manager was driving to/from home for funsies

OP
OP
Aurik

Aurik

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long it was on the lot, but it had 130 miles on it. So it'd been driven more than a bit, but less than a lot. I'll be doing a paint correction & ceramic coating on it over the next 2 weekends (when I'm not taking a 2 week Introduction to Bladesmithing class), and I'll be sure to get plenty more pictures afterwards.

I've already got the color-matched tonneau cover on order, installed a bedrug impact bedliner, and I've got a SPV modular bumper light kit on order.

PeYO1JD.jpg