UPDATE: Cam phasers AND cam shaft failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
Well it has all been replaced and covered under warranty. I drove it to the outer banks literally the friday it got finished. everything is still working very well. Lets hope and pray this is the last time they need changed! but if not, I am now covered under a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty for all the work they had to do. SOOO... now i have 3 warranties on the truck lol. Its like pokemon, gotta collect all them warranties i guess. lol

TheClaw

Reaction score
well... my raptor is currently undergoing cam phaser surgery and I just heard back about the results. 3 of the 4 phasers went on without a hitch. The problem phaser, passenger side exhaust, cam off in 3 pieces AND there is a ridge on the camshaft that will not allow the new phaser to slide on. SO they are now replacing the exhaust cam shaft as well.

Thankfully that camshaft is not on backorder!!! And hopefully will be covered under the ford ESP plan that is on the truck from the previous owner. The service manager said that if he runs it as that, and it doesnt work, he will run it on my aftermarket warranty that I purchased when I bough the truck! SO FINGERS CROSSED that it is covered!

So has anyone else heard of this or may have any idea what could have caused this? Dealer seems to think that it could have been caused by previous cam phaser change (this is the 3rd time they have been changed(1 per each owner so far)). Hopefully this will fix all my cam phaser issues and hopefully I will have my truck back soon!
I’m knee deep into my cam phaser repair. Was installing the updated phasers when I noticed the exact same as you describe.

The pin that goes in the notch completely sheered off. Causing damage the the cam shaft notch.

Looks like I need new cams. I’m curious if there’s any other further damage as I heard a snapping noise in the rear while turning the cams. Possible valve spring problem aswell?

Any aftermarket recommendations if needing replacement? If it can happen this time it can happen again if I’m pushing more power…

IMG_5950.jpeg
IMG_5946.jpegIMG_5947.jpegIMG_5948.jpeg