Turbo Adapters & Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ameration

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on adding a tune (most likely MPT 93) down the road but also wondered about adding Turbo adapters.

Is there a need to do the turbo adapters if a tune will be added later and will there be a significant gain over just the tune (or do they need to tone it back because of the turbo adapters)?

Thought I’d ask as the adapters seem to go on easier early.

Thanks.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo adapters will definitley help. The tune is the biggest gain for sure. Do the MPT 93 prx for sure. I have it. Best without question. i have the 5 star as well. Here is the thing on turbo adapters: If you do everything like i did, they are a must. Alone, i would say probably not. There is cumulative effect when doing adapters, plugs, CAI, downpipe, full exhaust, and upgraded intercooler. I mean i did it all at once and it is truly like driving a different truck. I am guessing i gained 150-190hp with everything. MPT says 90-95 gain just with their tune alone. But all together they simply make the truck a beast. Throttle response, shift points, acceleration in every gear, much better sound, etc. There is absolutely no comparison. I drove mine stock for a bit. Best money you will spend. If it is in the budget, make it happen. I cant think of a better way to improve the truck because every time you step on the gas you will smile. Hope that helps.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@RaptorFlipper summed it up really well. Even when speaking with SPD, the Turbo Adapters are one of their best power/dollar modifications.

For tunes, I always recommend going direct to the tuner of your choice. But if you'd like us to help get you setup with the Turbo Adapters and installation accessories, I'd be more than happy to do so!

OP
OP
ameration

ameration

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RaptorFlipper summed it up really well. Even when speaking with SPD, the Turbo Adapters are one of their best power/dollar modifications.

For tunes, I always recommend going direct to the tuner of your choice. But if you'd like us to help get you setup with the Turbo Adapters and installation accessories, I'd be more than happy to do so!

I have a message into MPT to see their thoughts on this as well.

Thanks Nick - the Venom Rex 601’s look amazing and the customer service was excellent. Can’t wait to get them on the truck (whenever it finally arrives as it’s alreasy late let FP schedule). I will be in touch for future mods for sure!

OP
OP
ameration

ameration

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From MPT:

“Our tunes are designed to work safely on completely stock trucks. If you wish to do the turbo adapters as well, you can. They do not require any special tuning, so you can install them whenever you’d like.”

When asked if there be any additional gains with the turbo adapters in addition to the tune or will the results be negligible to non-existent adding them his reply was:

“This modification has not been tested on our dyno, so data is insufficient to provide a meaningful response.”

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From MPT:

“Our tunes are designed to work safely on completely stock trucks. If you wish to do the turbo adapters as well, you can. They do not require any special tuning, so you can install them whenever you’d like.”

When asked if there be any additional gains with the turbo adapters in addition to the tune or will the results be negligible to non-existent adding them his reply was:

“This modification has not been tested on our dyno, so data is insufficient to provide a meaningful response.”

I called and the MPT salesman told me the same thing about SPD TAs before I did my build. He did go on to say they felt they were one of the better add-ons based on the price vs HP gains they claim.

I also asked about CAIs and Downpipes. His comment was they both can cause unwanted CELs and typically provided very little gains for the amount of money spent, so he did not recommend them.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting txraptor that he said that. Upon inspection of the stock downpipe and exhaust it was obvious that the new stuff was larger and allowed more air flow. I will try to find the pictures my guy took. He works on nothing but race cars and trucks and he said there will definitely be gains. Hard to quantify without before and after dyno runs, but if a turbo is forced air induction and you now have more colder air coming into the engine and can get it out faster, the law of physics would say that it would improve the efficiency of the engine. I had before and after comparisons on my 13. It was about 50 hp as i did the super charger first. This being a turbo relying on air it stands to reason might be a little more given the substantial restriction release. But i am no scientist, or race mechanic. Just a guy who likes to go fast in a big heavy truck. :)

CP312

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after reading this from a couple different tuners I’m curious. None seem to want to clear a CEL. I assume downpipes and maybe even an intake would trip a CEL correct? If so, what are people doing to get around that issue? It seems like the tuners only want people running the tune which is not similar to other platforms I’ve modified in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is interesting txraptor that he said that. Upon inspection of the stock downpipe and exhaust it was obvious that the new stuff was larger and allowed more air flow. I will try to find the pictures my guy took. He works on nothing but race cars and trucks and he said there will definitely be gains. Hard to quantify without before and after dyno runs, but if a turbo is forced air induction and you now have more colder air coming into the engine and can get it out faster, the law of physics would say that it would improve the efficiency of the engine. I had before and after comparisons on my 13. It was about 50 hp as i did the super charger first. This being a turbo relying on air it stands to reason might be a little more given the substantial restriction release. But i am no scientist, or race mechanic. Just a guy who likes to go fast in a big heavy truck. :)

He did not say there was no gains, his comment was "very little gains for the money spent". Which coming from MPT's perspective made sense.

$699 for 92 HP from MPT tune is very good! ($7.60 per HP)
$400 (installed) for 24 HP from SPD TA is OK ($16.67 per HP)

Possible CEL issues from these two:
$1300-1500 (installed) for 40 HP from catted DPs is expensive ($32.5 per HP)
$400 for 10 HP from CAI is very expensive ($40 per HP)

I went with the first two and skipped the second two. :smile:

Last edited:

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CP312,

I run it all, never tripped a code on my 18. I did on my 13 a bunch. Still happens now.

txraptor,

I hear you on the cost/benefit analysis. And i agree. You do get added benefit for the exhaust by getting some better sound. The CAI is by far the least cost/benefit