Transmission: What the HP Limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to be running an aftermarket stall converter? Heat kills transmission along with hooking.

OP
OP
alexlaughlin

alexlaughlin

Reaction score
Wiz knows. Wiz is Wise. If I had to guess, if you are going to run more powa, you're going to want to run more ATF pressure in the in the trans. I'm assuming if you're going to run more power that the trans will want to slip the clutch packs. The only thing I can think of keeping the trans from slipping is to run more pressure. How you accomplish that, I haven't got a clue.

Well it's a combination on a set stall torque converter, ceramic coated clutch packs, and line pressure. Of course billet input and output shafts. I don't know these specific transmissions that well so there may or may not be an intermediate shaft.

Does anyone build a transmission controller for these that controls increased line pressure and converter lock up per rpm or boost level?

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's a combination on a set stall torque converter, ceramic coated clutch packs, and line pressure. Of course billet input and output shafts. I don't know these specific transmissions that well so there may or may not be an intermediate shaft.

Does anyone build a transmission controller for these that controls increased line pressure and converter lock up per rpm or boost level?

I dont know how advanced some of these SCT tuners are, but computer tuning can boost line pressure for harder shifts and control converter lock up. Make contact with Neal Chane for a badass converter you wont have to worry about replacing every 2-3 years. Lock up converters and the clutchpacks love burning up.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would also look into a bigger trans cooler and a larger/higher fluid capacity trans pan with cooling fins

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the SDHQ bigger trans pan with the cooling vanes on it to help with heat issues. Eventually I'll install it. Lol.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@JimIII@JDM maybe you could help out here?

This is the same transmission in the Mustang which although in a much lighter car, I've seen handle over 1,000 HP in stock configuration. There are several companies that offer rebuild kits with upgraded internals. I believe Exedy is one who is popular among a lot of racers running the 6R80 transmission. I have no concern with amount of power or torque most people are making with the stock transmission, even supercharged.