Transmission shifting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have actually seen this issue on Chubbies from a local dealership and what I found out was that the dealership wasn't making sure the transmission was properly full during their dealer prep and hence the shifting issues. SOME, not all, dealerships try to cut corners wherever they can, even on expensive vehicles. I have seen many trucks with low tranny fluid levels act in that exact same fashion, add some fluid to get the level right and it stops completely. I am not saying that this is your exact issue, but I have seen it before and not only on brand new trucks. I have had more than one person call me after doing their own tranny flush having issues, they stop by with the truck and the tranny is about 3-4 quarts low, filled them up to the proper levels and vuala the problems are gone. The "Plug thing" sounds like the service managers attempt to cover his own butt with not telling you that they didn't do a proper dealer prep before delivering the vehicle. I would highly recommend checking the rest of your fluids as well, differential, transfer case, brake fluid and power steering fluids just to make sure that they are where they should be.

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
If there is a big temperature between the weeks not used then the PCM needs a few miles to readjust to the current settings it's driving in.

It doesn't do the next day right?

Hey MTF. Yes, it does do it the next day but not to the extreme as the first day I drive it after I return from my rotation. ( The truck sits for 14 - 16 days without running )

I have actually seen this issue on Chubbies from a local dealership and what I found out was that the dealership wasn't making sure the transmission was properly full during their dealer prep and hence the shifting issues. SOME, not all, dealerships try to cut corners wherever they can, even on expensive vehicles. I have seen many trucks with low tranny fluid levels act in that exact same fashion, add some fluid to get the level right and it stops completely. I am not saying that this is your exact issue, but I have seen it before and not only on brand new trucks. I have had more than one person call me after doing their own tranny flush having issues, they stop by with the truck and the tranny is about 3-4 quarts low, filled them up to the proper levels and vuala the problems are gone. The "Plug thing" sounds like the service managers attempt to cover his own butt with not telling you that they didn't do a proper dealer prep before delivering the vehicle. I would highly recommend checking the rest of your fluids as well, differential, transfer case, brake fluid and power steering fluids just to make sure that they are where they should be.

Thanks Chris! I do check my levels pretty regularly but haven't checked my differentials or transfer case. I will make sure I take a look in the morning. I'm also NOT going back to the dealership where I purchased it from. I've had too many people lately telling me about their dealings with them. Sad because I've purchased a number of trucks from them over the years....

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Sad thing is that this has been one of the better dealerships in the area for years. Whats crazy is they would rather skimp on a good service than have a customer for life ( I've already purchased several vehicles from them and now I won't purchase another )

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking, I may need to check my Tranny fluid too....I've noticed that it wont downshift at times when decending on a decline. Its a brand new 14 with 1500 miles.

windsor

Reaction score
Here is a tsb that they may be doing to your truck.

Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
13-4-15 DELAYED FORWARD OR REVERSE TRANSMISSION ENGAGEMENT WHEN COLD

Publication Date: April 23, 2013

FORD: 2011-2013 Mustang, Expedition, F-150
LINCOLN: 2011-2013 Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2013 Expedition, Mustang, F-150, and Navigator vehicles may exhibit a delayed forward or reverse transmission engagement condition when cold.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the main control. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.
Replace the clutch exhaust valve and the converter drain back valve. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.
Removal of the shift solenoids and the valves internal to the upper and lower main control sections is not required for this procedure.
Assemble main control using a new separator plate. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.
Check balls must be installed in proper location to ensure correct transmission operation.
Install main control and fill transmission. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
CL3Z-7D142-A Valve - Exhaust / Drain Back Valve (2 Req)
CL3Z-7Z490-A Separator Plate (2011-2013 F-150/Mustang - 2012-2013 Expedition/Navigator)
6L2Z-7Z490-C Separator Plate (2011 Expedition/Navigator)
XT-10-QLV Motorcraft®MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
130415A 2011-2013 Expedition, Navigator, F-150 And Mustang: Follow Service Procedure To Repair Mechatronic (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.7 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7A100 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2013 Ford Motor Company

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Thanks Windsor! :happy160: That clears up so much! Now why couldn't they have just come out and say that? Damn that would've made things soo much simpler! :chair:

OP
OP
Rajin Cajun

Rajin Cajun

Reaction score
Most Definitely Chris! I just printed out the TSB and I will take it to the "Other" dealership when I go. Clear things up right from the start....