Tranmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not an engineer but my biggest issue with the 10R80 is how the software controls it. For reference I have an 18 raptor with a goosetuned TCM and my transmission shifts smoother than 99% of the vehicles that come in to my dealership (not meant to be an endorsement for goosetune, but kind of is).

2018 w/124k total miles, occasional towing, mostly between 125-145mph highway driving :) @GooseTuned for at least +-80k. There were no transmission problems after it was tuned. I firmly believe a few things

(opinion)
1) The factory calibration sucks balls--too much clunking--high gears too quickly, meaning too much torque for too long of a period on simple starts.
2) The factory (every manufacturer) maintenance intervals are WAY too long. It's amazing how big of a difference new fluid makes in these (my) transmissions.

I've probably changed the fluid in my tranny 5 times in 124k miles. Each time it looked totally different, darker (smelled ok) when I came back from the sand dunes but completely red after several really long road trips and work driving.

I'm not easy on it, it gets used but I do most of my driving on the highway stop/go to/from work.

1722000083926.png

Last edited:

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an engineer but my biggest issue with the 10R80 is how the software controls it. For reference I have an 18 raptor with a goosetuned TCM and my transmission shifts smoother than 99% of the vehicles that come in to my dealership (not meant to be an endorsement for goosetune, but kind of is).
Yup, this. Trans tunes have a wild effect on how it behaves, leading me to believe that they had a summer intern program at Ford and their project was to tune the F150 trans. Every single person Ive talked to with a 10 speed in an F150 complains about it having good and bad days so to speak. Also every time I reset the learning tables it drives wonderfully for about 1000 miles. My gen 3 driven off the lot with 8 miles on it drove perfectly, but after a few thousand miles its back to being as temperamental as my gen 2. A better tune from Ford would fix 95% of the 10 speeds issues which are likely not mechanical.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I don't know what all the whining is about. My 2018 (bought new Jan 2018) shifts wonderfully with the basic Cobb OEM+ tune in it. In general, the people who have constant issues are people who don’t understand electromechanical things anyway. They need to buy a honda civic or toyota camry and shut up. They're making themselves look like idiots in a knowledgeable discussion. YMMV

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Im not trying to attack you, just not trying to spread misinformation so respectfully';

CDF stands for C clutch, D clutch and F clutch, not center distance fixed. The 6 clutch packs in the 10R80 are labeled A through F. The CDF clutch drum houses and feeds those three clutches.

The 23-2250 TSB is an older TSB that has been superseded by 24-2101. The TSB is informational only and only applies to 2017-2020 F150s (and some other models) but doesn't apply to newer F150s. The updated CDF drum design has a "shoulder" that stops the internal bushing from sliding which caused cross leakage, blockage, etc. in those 3 clutches as the bushing feed holes moved.

The updated drum has been out for a few years now and is also used in the "new" F150s and other models with the 10R80. The idea is when performing TSB 24-2101 is to install the updated CDF drum in the "older" 10R80s.

-Joe
From one Joe to another, thanks for not being an idiot.

Last edited:

roger7254

Reaction score
2018 w/124k total miles, occasional towing, mostly between 125-145mph highway driving :) @GooseTuned for at least +-80k. There were no transmission problems after it was tuned. I firmly believe a few things

(opinion)
1) The factory calibration sucks balls--too much clunking--high gears too quickly, meaning too much torque for too long of a period on simple starts.
2) The factory (every manufacturer) maintenance intervals are WAY too long. It's amazing how big of a difference new fluid makes in these (my) transmissions.

I've probably changed the fluid in my tranny 5 times in 124k miles. Each time it looked totally different, darker (smelled ok) when I came back from the sand dunes but completely red after several really long road trips and work driving.

I'm not easy on it, it gets used but I do most of my driving on the highway stop/go to/from work.

View attachment 461502
I completely agree with your quote. I have a 2023 model and am currently waiting for a tune from Goose. After resetting and turning off the transmission learning behavior mode using forscan, the occasional clunking and hard downshifting have dramatically reduced.

Like you, I believe in changing fluids more frequently. I perform three oil changes every 10k miles and have changed the rear diff fluid around 10k miles when I replaced the cover. I plan to change the front diff and transfer case fluids at my next oil change at 13k miles, and I'm planning to service the transmission fluid at 20k miles.

All of my vehicles are bought new, and I drove them daily, putting some mileage on them. For example, I put 330k miles on a Jeep Cherokee, 250k miles on a Ford Expedition, 300k miles on a Toyota Camry, and my current daily driver, a Prius, only has 180k miles on it. I've had very good luck with all of my vehicles, experiencing zero major issues while I owned them. Hopefully, I will have the same good fortune with my '23 Raptor.

Recently, I had a close call when I was making a slow rolling left turn and the gear slipped for a second, nearly making my day real bad with oncoming cars. After that one time incident, That said, I just completed an 1,100-mile trip for camping / light off-road trailing with zero issues with the truck.
From what I hear, the tune really helps these transmissions perform better, and I can't wait to get one.

Last edited:

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

(opinion)

View attachment 461502
Heck yeah!

new raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just had the same problem took it in to service and they said I needed a new transmission. My truck only has 20,000 miles on it. Oh well.