Tailgate protector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK... so I had my motorcycle in the back and I was driving with the tailgate down... the bike is too short to put weight on the tailgate but too long to close it.

So I hit this goofy little dip in a turn near my house and hear CLUNK.

I get out and look and the right side of the tailgate has unhooked itself and the gate is resting on the bumper! When I engaged the hinge again and closed the gate I had a couple of nice scratches! :shakehead: I guess the combo of the dip and the turn bounced the tailgate "just right" to allow it to come off the hinge post (like you'd do if you were removing the tailgate)

So I remembered a cheap way to prevent someone from a quick tailgate "grab and run"... (it won't prevent theft, but it will slow the thief down enough that they might hit the next truck)

This:

DSCN1415.jpg

Will prevent this:

DSCN1416.jpg

(and possibly theft)

(#20 hose clamp fits well... you can rotate it to make it removable only from under the truck if you'd like)

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks Mark, but glad you posted some preventative medicide' for all of us.

When you were telling me the story in LV, I imagined the tailgate being dragged wildly down the streets, chopping down mailboxes and sending kids screaming to their mothers.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well a tailgate is just extra weight and removing it (having it fall off) is one way to improve those precious MPGs. :mrgreen:

(Always trying to look at the positives)

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
My motorcycle put a large dent in the tailgate...guess it wasn't designed to have the rear tire of a 250lb bike resting on it while romping down a wash at 60mph ;)

Thanks for the info...think I'm gona strap up!!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
that's why the factory tailgate extender is nice, the cage locks in and holds the tailgate down tight at the same time.

Reaction score
Nice trick!

I had a tailgate fly off my '82 chevy once. The bedsides were so rusty and floppy that it let the whole tailgate exit the truck into the field!