SVC PreRunner Long Travel Testing Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We finally had some some time to head out to the desert this weekend and take the truck for it's first real official shock testing session. All-in-all the truck worked really good. We did all the testing on the racecourse in Lucerne Valley,CA along side our buddies at Raceco-USA who were doing the same thing. For those not familiar with this section of course, it's really big holes and whoops with a good size crown down the center section of the trails. to give you an idea, our buddy with a stock Raptor was able to run the same trail at about 25mph. any faster than that, the truck became a bucking nightmare.

When we first started, the front compression wasn't near enough to handle what the back was capable of. After a few passes and getting some heat in the shocks, we ended up having to close off the long compression tube and left the short 1 turn open. It made a big difference in the balance of the truck. It wasn't blowing through the travel like when we first started out, thus allowing the front end to stay on top of the whoops better. We are going to make a compression and rebound valving change to the front end and head back out in a week or so. I'm confident that we have another 15-25% more speed once we get the front end dialed in even better than it is now. Once that is done, then we can get to work on the back of the truck. But I do have to say, the truck is amazing. It is capable of going out on the racecourse and float over massive holes at 75-80mph without feeling one bit harsh or unsettled. Also forgot to mention, the truck has our 2wd Long Travel conversion up front (18"s with Fox 3.5" Bypass Shox, and 2.5 Coilover) and our Fourlink system in the back (strapped at 24" with Fox 4.4"Bypass shox and 3.0" Coilover)

The video is a mix of onboard bumper footage with some exterior footage of showing the truck going through the same section. It is filmed in HD so make sure to click that on your youtube settings.

Thanks for watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OeBrG2_pH8

Jarrett

Stealthf1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. It's definitely an awesome setup Jarret and being you have that terrain and weather to test and tune it in helps also, way better than what we had at TRR to play in for the weekend. I can't wait to see this thing when you really push it to the limits.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Interesting video... it again raises some questions for me. I hear a knocking/clunking that doesn't sound suspension related that I seem to get with my Raptor. It's not consistent and the terrain is not same either when I hear it. I do seem to hear it more in a side-to-side motion.

I've had the truck on the rack and re-torqued everything. Nothing appears loose and I see no weird rubbing marks. To me it doesn't sound right but I wonder if it's just the nature of this beast?

I have stock Fox shocks but I associate some of this odd noise I hear with the video above...

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting video... it again raises some questions for me. I hear a knocking/clunking that doesn't sound suspension related that I seem to get with my Raptor. It's not consistent and the terrain is not same either when I hear it. I do seem to hear it more in a side-to-side motion.

I've had the truck on the rack and re-torqued everything. Nothing appears loose and I see no weird rubbing marks. To me it doesn't sound right but I wonder if it's just the nature of this beast?

I have stock Fox shocks but I associate some of this odd noise I hear with the video above...

Bypasses dude.
Big ones !

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Nothing wrong at all. The sound you are hearing is two things.

1. Tappets. They are part of the bypass tubes that open and close to allow fluid to flow from the high pressure zone to the low pressure zone.

2. You are hearing the bottom spring releasing from the crossover ring and then slamming back into it during compression.

Both these sounds are totally normal and in many cases music to people ears like me.

My truck is a bit on the extreme side of the tappet sound though. You can hear them clicking away at every corner because there are 16 of them on the truck.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I also forgot to mention you are hearing more on a side to side because you are loading the shocks more when turning and pushing the fluid into the check valve (forget what I just wrote, I didn't read that you had stock shocks. Maybe your balljoints are worn out on some of the suspension components. Internal bypass like yours are typically very quiet.

Jarrett

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo, This is what you guys were doing without me Saturday while I was home nursing my congested head. I'm happy to see the Smurfrunner in some proper dirt finally doing what it supposed to be doing!!!!! Long hours and hard work are finally paying off. :big_banana_Dance:

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Soooo, This is what you guys were doing without me Saturday while I was home nursing my congested head. I'm happy to see the Smurfrunner in some proper dirt finally doing what it supposed to be doing!!!!! Long hours and hard work are finally paying off. :big_banana_Dance:

Get your head feeling better because we are heading out on Friday.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

My wallet (wife) is gonna hurt. Put me on the list for the Lt front end... Gotta have it.

It's really good as it is right now but I want to get this thing dialed in the next few weeks.

I was a little worried on initial spring rate, but seeing how capable it is in holes I never thought possible with this truck, I'm gonna stick with it.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats a nice build!!

And to the person that posted what is below please review the following video for your own safety: