SVC PreRunner Long Travel Testing Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
It's really good as it is right now but I want to get this thing dialed in the next few weeks.

I was a little worried on initial spring rate, but seeing how capable it is in holes I never thought possible with this truck, I'm gonna stick with it.

Yea man it looks like its nearly there. Its taking on stuff that we hit in the buggy... Which if you EVER happen to come out this way, I'll have to let you do some magic and/or sorcery on the suspension settings. Getting a odd rebound, not wanting to stay settled and bucking just a hair. Front is good. Anyway... Back to smurfette... :)

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yea man it looks like its nearly there. Its taking on stuff that we hit in the buggy... Which if you EVER happen to come out this way, I'll have to let you do some magic and/or sorcery on the suspension settings. Getting a odd rebound, not wanting to stay settled and bucking just a hair. Front is good. Anyway... Back to smurfette... :)

Do you know what valving stack you have in the shocks?

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Do you know what valving stack you have in the shocks?

Not off hand. Id have to look in our notebook. Its just one of those things that wasn't happening before. Maybe I botched up the nitrogen fill, though I wouldn't think that would of done it.... Really didnt mean to derail the thread...

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not off hand. Id have to look in our notebook. Its just one of those things that wasn't happening before. Maybe I botched up the nitrogen fill, though I wouldn't think that would of done it.... Really didnt mean to derail the thread...

Dont worry about it. You might just be in need of a rebuild, or your getting faster in the car and out running the previous setup. Report back with where your tubes are set at and video if possible. If the buggy is starting to pogo a bit, then we should focus on the rebound. Ideally you want it nice and soft up until the point of bouncy, once you get there, you have gone to far. Also, if you overfilled your nitrogen then you effectivly have added more spring rate, which has inturn screwed with the rebound of the vehicle. I would look and see where you nitrogen level should be, (most likely 200) and then go from there.

To give you and idea, my truck was falling on it's face because it was blowing through the travel too quick. We need to open the shock and see what's in the bypass, but I know once we get the truck to control compression better, and settle a little more on the rebound stack, it will pick up a good deal of speed. Right now, we have a 500/700lb spring up front. I was worried it was going to be to stiff because on the street, it's a bit firm. But once you get some heat in the shocks and get the truck moving, it becomes real soft. With the spring rate being on the high side, we need to throw a little more at the rebound stack so we can start to open the tubes up more and control the spring from becoming bouncy, but if you go to far, it's starts to pack up, so there is a balance there. We have a set of 600's sitting at the shop ready to go in, but I want to see how we can get this working first.

The back has been a big challenge as well, before the truck left the shop, we had 3 different sets of spring combos on it to get it right. Right now we are running a 200/400 combo which is super light. But we shortend the wheel base of the truck and the leverage ratio of the spring is far back compared to say a trophy truck or Stewart Race Works type of prerunner which has the shocks located much further up the lower link requiring a higher spring rate because the leverage is so far from the axle. To give you an idea, we started out with a 400/600 and we were way off. Dam truck sat like a monster truck. Right now we are sitting on the cross over ring with the 400 and it's coming off nice and early so the truck is really compliant. If anything I'm leaning towards reducing both compression and rebound stacks in the rear, but we wont touch that until we have the front exactly where we want it. My goal for this truck is to make it a couch over the course. I want her soft and mushy at a good spirited pace with a few glory runs thrown in for video sake.

Jarrett

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Haha Just how I like my motorized couches.... Soft and mushy... Hahaha...I have the buggy setup the same way, very plush and compliant. Its not like we're racing the thing, so no need for it to be aggressive. Although at 140mph+ we might as well be racing.

I'm gonna check the nitrogen fill, as that was the last thing that was done/adjusted in between trips. Keep ya posted.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention you are hearing more on a side to side because you are loading the shocks more when turning and pushing the fluid into the check valve (forget what I just wrote, I didn't read that you had stock shocks. Maybe your ball-joints are worn out on some of the suspension components. Internal bypass like yours are typically very quiet.

Jarrett

Thanks for the info, Jarrett. The sounds in your video and the other one I posted from YouTube are similar to what I am hearing. My Raptor has 23,000 miles on it an while I never had a bad ball-joint before, I don't believe this is the case. It also doesn't help that I have very sensitive hearing and I pick up a lot of little noises... drives me crazy!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Thats a nice build!!

And to the person that posted what is below please review the following video for your own safety:

The VVS PSA is a great video! I send that to friends all the time. The video of the Raptor is not mine though. Don't know who it belongs to. I just referenced it because some of the noise I hear with my Raptor is similar.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jarrett. The sounds in your video and the other one I posted from YouTube are similar to what I am hearing. My Raptor has 23,000 miles on it an while I never had a bad ball-joint before, I don't believe this is the case. It also doesn't help that I have very sensitive hearing and I pick up a lot of little noises... drives me crazy!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

The VVS PSA is a great video! I send that to friends all the time. The video of the Raptor is not mine though. Don't know who it belongs to. I just referenced it because some of the noise I hear with my Raptor is similar.

Oh man, if you have sensitive hearing don't ever do a full tip to toe cage in your truck, it'll drive ya to the looney bin.

And if I remember and old frf local by the name of Big J made that video years ago. But everything for BigJ had to be shot in vertical, the dude is like 6-9"

Jarrett

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 500/700 (291 pound effective) spring rate sounds right, I'm on a straight 700 with a 500 pound 6" tender and the h&m comes with 800/1250.