Storm damage advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First let me say. Thankfully everyone is okay and I am happy for you for that.

As far as the Raptor, are you in love with the truck? I get attached to vehicles because the are memories to me. If you can move on mentally then I would, if you can't like myself then fix that truck and make more memories.

Last edited:

vk35

Reaction score
17k is a good deal to buy that truck with salvage title. It would probably go for a bit higher on copart or IAAI auction. A reconstructed raptor with that mileage is around 30k assuming it’s fully fixed.

From the pictures, you could just replace the windshield if it’s cracked and leave the rear of the body as is since it’s cosmetic. You could also use a PDR to get some of the dents out without repainting. In either case, once you fix what’s required to pass inspection, you should not have any problem getting a reconstructed title. Use the equity that you get for something else. Just my 2 cents.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m going to +1 @Old-Raptor-guy as that is one hell of a story. It’s fortunate for all of us that you’re able to tell it.

Also, I think after that I’d be quite a bit hesitant to just “let it go”. Yes, I realize it’s a machine, lacking sentience and consciousness. That said, FFS, what the heck is the picture of the tree limb ? ! If I had the financial means, I’d keep that truck fo’ shizzle. If I had to, I’d probably do time in a peasant car until I could get it repaired-ish while still using it because as you said it’s basically all body stuff.

Obviously, if finances dictate, family comes first.

OP
OP
S

Speedracer800

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank all of you for the kind words. It was a scary situation that I hope nobody else would ever have to endure and I thoroughly believe that truck had a lot to do with us coming through it uninjured.

I've been driving it since the night this happened. The drivability wasn't effected at all. There is a slight bit of attachment but honestly I don't think it's affecting my decision making here.

When I stand back and look at the thing and ask myself if I would buy it in this condition with the salvage title should the situation been different, I think I'd jump on it and try to flip it for 5 grand or something. New Raptors at 90+(+++) really makes this look like a heck of a deal for the right guy.

It's pretty incredible that it's only depreciated about 40% from msrp over 6 years and 94,000 miles! I've bought dozens of new vehicles over my lifetime with nothing ever holding value like this Raptor has.

After passenger side doors, bedside, and a new windshield, you'd need to look pretty closely to find much of the other damage.

I'm going to think about it over the weekend and make a decision. Does anyone know anyone looking for a cheap Raptor project?? ;)

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
First of all I want to thank all of you for the kind words. It was a scary situation that I hope nobody else would ever have to endure and I thoroughly believe that truck had a lot to do with us coming through it uninjured.

I've been driving it since the night this happened. The drivability wasn't effected at all. There is a slight bit of attachment but honestly I don't think it's affecting my decision making here.

When I stand back and look at the thing and ask myself if I would buy it in this condition with the salvage title should the situation been different, I think I'd jump on it and try to flip it for 5 grand or something. New Raptors at 90+(+++) really makes this look like a heck of a deal for the right guy.

It's pretty incredible that it's only depreciated about 40% from msrp over 6 years and 94,000 miles! I've bought dozens of new vehicles over my lifetime with nothing ever holding value like this Raptor has.

After passenger side doors, bedside, and a new windshield, you'd need to look pretty closely to find much of the other damage.

I'm going to think about it over the weekend and make a decision. Does anyone know anyone looking for a cheap Raptor project?? ;)
You might want to try @Dunerking. He and his son are looking for a project.

sbradle4

Reaction score
I think I would give the Raptor a nice pat on the hood, and take the money and find another newer one. $43k with almost 100k miles for an ‘18 is close (maybe a smidgen more) to what you would get for selling it

Whoops

Reaction score
Glad you and your family are OK.
The one red flag for me was the A pillar damage you mentioned. I'm not an engineer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;)) In my mind, that's a pretty critical factor regarding structural integrity. Chances are it'll never come into play but I wouldn't buy anything with a damaged pillar, nor would I feel comfortable selling something with a damaged pillar. I think there may be sweat equity to be had if the pillars aren't structurally compromised. But sending it to a shop for repairs may well eat all the profit.

EagleRaptor

Reaction score
43k is a really good offer for it, so I don't think there is a bad way to go. I would just buy it back and keep the leftover money and drive it until it falls apart. Maybe fix a few minor things, but I'd live with the damage if its mechanically stellar. I like trucks with battle scars that run good though, I don't need mine to look new just function well.

OP
OP
S

Speedracer800

Reaction score
The A pillar damage is a couple of dents to the outer skin that appear to be able to be popped right back out so Im absolutely certain there's not near enough damage to effect the structure of the cab. Looks like a wack with a ballpien hammer damage honestly.

Looks like I'm going to be buying it back. So I'll walk away with the truck with a branded title, and 25k in my pocket.. It's a (more than) fair offer.. So it's hard to baulk at.1000029453.jpg