Stealth Black Raptor R initial thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LayinWatts69

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I damn near traded my '22 V6TT Raptor and a '23 Blackwing for a '23 R and revisited this thread so many times. Thank you to everyone I've quoted and those that I've not, as well.

The range is the kicker with what we do. Looking back in my post history if you want, the answer for us is always "Raptor". Driving to school? Raptor. Grocery shopping? Raptor. Driving to Atlanta or DC? Raptor. Longer road trip?

Still. The. Damn. Raptor.

Recently bought a Cadillac CT5V Blackwing with the big 6.2L supercharged V8. It's way aerodynamic compared to the Raptor. It weighs less than the Raptor. It hauls less crap inside on a daily basis than a Raptor. I still can't break barely 16mpg on average with it.

I want the V8 just to have the V8, I truly do. Someone I quoted said "the answer is turbo V8" for dynamics and having them spoiled more often and thus, removing the "sluggish" feeling. I feel no slug-anything in this Blackwing but again, way lighter and way WAY different in terms of automobile. It's also a manual transmission, so there's that advantage.

I'm gonna sell the Blackwing and I guess just pocket the money. Every time I want to get an R, I talk to those that have them locally or I read here and elsewhere, watch YouTube reviews, and then look at mine and just remember that it's badass on its own. Got the lights. Got the parts. Got the tune. It's everything I want, so I guess I should just stop.

My wife has the V8TT Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e-hybrid for if I ever wanna go fast. The Mustang is gone to get the Blackwing and the Blackwing will be gone to replace with nothing for the time being, I guess. Toss it in the brokerage. I think that's the plan.

Thanks, all. Y'all are great.
Yep, I’m right there with you.

The TTpeasantV6 is just a damn good daily driver. It’s quiet in the cab, gets 600 miles on a tank for road trips, feels light and nimble, wife doesn’t mind driving it…it’s just a really good truck. I also like that I can take it off-road and not really worry about it. If I had plopped down $130-150k for an R, it most likely wouldn’t have seen much time on trails.

I also have mine set up how I want it, and I don’t really feel like going through that process again if I don’t have to.

I’m afraid the R itch will never leave, and maybe I’ll get one in the coming years. But I’ve officially throw in the towel on my R dreams lol.

We’re gonna pull the trigger on a 5th wheel toy hauler so I’ll be getting an F-350 to pull it. I’ll be envious at every RRaptor I see on the road, but a new F-350 limited and my current Raptor will keep me satisfied I believe.

Going to go with Glacier Gray to somewhat pair with the LFG Raptor.

IMG_7825.jpeg
dji_fly_20240419_101242_290_1713543174692_photo_optimized.jpeg
IMG_7796.jpeg

Last edited:

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, I’m right there with you.

The TTpeasantV6 is just a damn good daily driver. It’s quiet in the cab, gets 600 miles on a tank for road trips, feels light and nimble, wife doesn’t mind driving it…it’s just a really good truck. I also like that I can take it off-road and not really worry about it. If I had plopped down $130-150k for an R, it most likely wouldn’t have seen much time on trails.

I also have mine set up how I want it, and I don’t really feel like going through that process again if I don’t have to.

I’m afraid the R itch will never leave, and maybe I’ll get one in the coming years. But I’ve officially throw in the towel on my R dreams lol.

We’re gonna pull the trigger on a 5th wheel toy hauler so I’ll be getting an F-350 to pull it. I’ll be envious at every RRaptor I see on the road, but a new F-350 limited and my current Raptor will keep me satisfied I believe.

Going to go with Glacier Gray to somewhat pair with the LFG Raptor.

View attachment 456511
View attachment 456512
View attachment 456513
I've seen some nice looking color matched glacier gray Super Duties. Lot's of potential there with some tasteful mods.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen some nice looking color matched glacier gray Super Duties. Lot's of potential there with some tasteful mods.

Agreed. I really like the color. And with a little TLC they look great.

Sam

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anywhere from 30 -100 miles a day. It varies from week to week. Once every 2-3 weeks is my tolerance for stopping at the gas station for my daily driven truck. If the R or TRX had a 50 gallon tank I'd have no problem!
Yea that’s a lot, I don’t drive nearly that much. What’s your average per month?

Coming from the 3.5 though, it’s not like you’re filling up twice as much. It’s a hit to range but if you’d be filling up the R way to frequently I’d say you’d be filling up a 3.5 at an annoying frequency under the same conditions.

TanneRd

Reaction score
Is that a GT3 or GT3 RS next to your R?!? Talk about the ultimate reverse uno card! I daily my R, no reason not too, the crate engines are like 30k or so;
Just drive it

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yea that’s a lot, I don’t drive nearly that much. What’s your average per month?

Coming from the 3.5 though, it’s not like you’re filling up twice as much. It’s a hit to range but if you’d be filling up the R way to frequently I’d say you’d be filling up a 3.5 at an annoying frequency under the same conditions.
Thus the reason I have an F450 with 50 gallons in the main tank, and a transfer tank in the bed with 36 gallons. Fill up once every 2-3 weeks or so. Much better than twice a week!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got around to finding a pre-owned Raptor R at a local dealership. Took it for a nice drive on local streets that I'm very familiar with using my own truck. Drove it like I drive my own truck.

It looks good. Sounds amazing. Anything over 1/2 - 2/3 throttle is hilarious. The Recaros are still something I miss that I don't have.

However, and I'm still trying to describe accurately to even myself, it's just "not there" for me. Here's the best way I can say it, I think;

If I didn't have a Raptor already, I'd get an R hands down, zero hesitation. It's good. It's great. It's an animal, I dunno, like a Polar Bear or something. Super good looking, majestic, beautiful, and extremely dangerous. But I have a Raptor. Sure, it's a little bit slower. It sounds equally as badass (though I simply prefer the rumble over the rasp), but there's just something about the dynamics of the driving experience.

If the R is a Polar Bear, the V6 Raptor in my book, is a Grizzly Bear. Still almost as aggressive, a bit smaller (engine size and power), though a little more nimble and dare I say, "refined"...?

Would I drive one? Hell yeah. Do I drool and desire the R as much as I used to? Negative. Do I still envy when I see one? Yep, you bet. But then I'll go into Sport mode, flick the paddles down a few gears and listen to the screaming wail of that V6 and know I'm extremely happy and blessed just the same to be where I'm at.

1000003530.jpg