GEN 2 SPD Catted Downpipes and Trombone w/Stock Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking on the SPD website and I guess they’re aware of it and make a specific muffler for this issue.

The main purpose of the Helmholtz resonator on this exhaust system is the in-cab noise/drone reduction without making the exhaust too quiet. By targeting and neutralizing specific drone frequencies, you will still enjoy the exotic exhaust notes of the equal length without the drone. We highly recommend this system for aftermarket downpipes.

Don’t really want to spend another $1200 and it still sound horrible, but might have too. Did a 4 hour drive to AR yesterday and going to and down hills with cruise control on made me want to take it off on the side of the road.

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the gaskets and see if that is the simple fixed, they may be warped and not seeding correctly, the gasket may heat up after start-up and then expand at a higher engine / exhaust temperatures. Just trying to throw it out there. Has anyone done a before and after dyno on the SPD downpipes ? I'm curious if there is actually a torque or horsepower increase or it's all just a bunch of "fake news" a.k.a. marketing. Lol. :laughing1:

Especially for $2K plus installation.
:GetMoney:
I can definitely tell a difference in the responsiveness and get up and go after the install. But my factory cats were clogged really bad so maybe this is what a regular Raptor feels like lol. I bought it with 30k miles on it and I’m at 105k now. My install at the dealership for the Cats and Trombone was only $450 and $1700 for cats and trombone so yea right around $2150 if I add in the muffler I’ll be sitting around $3500 total.

MultiStateRaptor Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With either Livernois Motorsports in Michigan or MPT in Florida you can get you a minimum of 65 rear wheel horsepower confirmed by their respectful dynos:

From "dead" stock 2022-2023 models (Raptor Eco-Boost V6) just adding their tune, both on site: Livernois Motorsports or MPT: remote programming. Spending $3500 on exhaust and downpipes, versus an intercooler, a tune and a trip to a dyno for a session to dial in the tune makes much more sense in spending $6K - $8500 which includes upgraded injectors, a new fuel delivery system and new Stage 4 turbos (and "yes" you get to keep your OEM turbos) if you move up to that $8500+ pricepoint. The reliabily is still there according to both Livernois Motorsports or the MPT tuners.

I'm not hear to spend your money, but for me, downpipes and exhaust probably do add some cooling and clean up the clogs in your engine, but spending a few more $$'s to get that kind of "confirmed" rear wheel horsepower is a "no brainer" in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to having my 2023 Raptor Eco-Boost V6 tweaked with either of these two tuners, I'm just waiting on the Stage 5 Turbo's to get out of their R&D department (later this year) and in to the hands of the retail public.

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With either Livernois Motorsports in Michigan or MPT in Florida you can get you a minimum of 65 rear wheel horsepower confirmed by their respectful dynos:

From "dead" stock 2022-2023 models (Raptor Eco-Boost V6) just adding their tune, both on site: Livernois Motorsports or MPT: remote programming. Spending $3500 on exhaust and downpipes, versus an intercooler, a tune and a trip to a dyno for a session to dial in the tune makes much more sense in spending $6K - $8500 which includes upgraded injectors, a new fuel delivery system and new Stage 4 turbos (and "yes" you get to keep your OEM turbos) if you move up to that $8500+ pricepoint. The reliabily is still there according to both Livernois Motorsports or the MPT tuners.

I'm not hear to spend your money, but for me, downpipes and exhaust probably do add some cooling and clean up the clogs in your engine, but spending a few more $$'s to get that kind of "confirmed" rear wheel horsepower is a "no brainer" in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to having my 2023 Raptor Eco-Boost V6 tweaked with either of these two tuners, I'm just waiting on the Stage 5 Turbo's to get out of their R&D department (later this year) and in to the hands of the retail public.
Yes planning on getting a tune for sure, but the Cats were a must or I would have gone a different direction.

slicksilver8

Reaction score
I have the spd catted dps and borla (ford performance sport) cat back and i have no such sound issues at all. Sounds mean and solid.
I have the borla attack and x pipe sounds solid anytime and no drone while cruising , best thing to get for any truck for performance exhaust .

Matt Pearlman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a broken record but its definitely something the dealer did. FOR SURE. I have a different setup than most. AFE high flow catted downpipes, corsa x pipe and flowmaster exhaust. I know its odd but it sounds mean on cold start, even with a wimpy v6. I have no issues other than some drone on the freeway at 80 mph.

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a broken record but its definitely something the dealer did. FOR SURE. I have a different setup than most. AFE high flow catted downpipes, corsa x pipe and flowmaster exhaust. I know its odd but it sounds mean on cold start, even with a wimpy v6. I have no issues other than some drone on the freeway at 80 mph.
After reading several of Kyle’ threads about this setup I think something might be touching. I’m going to loosen everything up this weekend and then pull it all tight with ratchet strap and tighten from cats back and make sure no hangers are bound up. See what that does and go from there.