GEN 2 SPD Catted Downpipes and Trombone w/Stock Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone that owns this setup.

I got these both installed at my dealership because I just haven't had the time and my factory cats were clogged throwing CEL.

Picked up the truck and drove it around for a bit. First off I like the sound at WOT and the throaty sound when pulling.

Went on a 6 hour trip to Fredericksburg TX this past weekend from North TX. I've noticed on cold start and when on cruise control at 2K RPMs if the truck starts to go up hill and the cruise control eases into acceleration there is this rattling or pinging noise (best way I can describe it) and it sounds horrible. I almost hate cold starting my truck now because it sounds like trash. You can also hear it with hard acceleration until it gets out of the 2-3K range.

Is this normal? Could something be loose? Will it go away with some carbon build up?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Quick question for anyone that owns this setup.

I got these both installed at my dealership because I just haven't had the time and my factory cats were clogged throwing CEL.

Picked up the truck and drove it around for a bit. First off I like the sound at WOT and the throaty sound when pulling.

Went on a 6 hour trip to Fredericksburg TX this past weekend from North TX. I've noticed on cold start and when on cruise control at 2K RPMs if the truck starts to go up hill and the cruise control eases into acceleration there is this rattling or pinging noise (best way I can describe it) and it sounds horrible. I almost hate cold starting my truck now because it sounds like trash. You can also hear it with hard acceleration until it gets out of the 2-3K range.

Is this normal? Could something be loose? Will it go away with some carbon build up?

Thanks in advance.
Yup pretty normal unfortunately. Exact same setup, spd dp’s w/adapters and trombone pipe to stock mufflers, sounds like thin sheet metal vibrating for 15 seconds every time you start it

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well damn... I made sure to keep my factory resonator, my cats were shot, but thinking about putting the factory resonator back on. Mine only does it on cold starts, not every time I start it, but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Really wanted to like this setup.

And thin sheet metal vibrating is a perfect description of the noise I'm hearing.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the spd catted dps and borla (ford performance sport) cat back and i have no such sound issues at all. Sounds mean and solid.

OP
OP
KRoyal

KRoyal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the spd catted dps and borla (ford performance sport) cat back and i have no such sound issues at all. Sounds mean and solid.
Yes, I think this has to do with the SPD trombone resonator delete.

MultiStateRaptor Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the gaskets and see if that is the simple fixed, they may be warped and not seeding correctly, the gasket may heat up after start-up and then expand at a higher engine / exhaust temperatures. Just trying to throw it out there. Has anyone done a before and after dyno on the SPD downpipes ? I'm curious if there is actually a torque or horsepower increase or it's all just a bunch of "fake news" a.k.a. marketing. Lol. :laughing1:

Especially for $2K plus installation.
:GetMoney:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Replace the gaskets and see if that is the simple fixed, they may be warped and not seeding correctly, the gasket may heat up after start-up and then expand at a higher engine / exhaust temperatures. Just trying to throw it out there. Has anyone done a before and after dyno on the SPD downpipes ? I'm curious if there is actually a torque or horsepower increase or it's all just a bunch of "fake news" a.k.a. marketing. Lol. :laughing1:

Especially for $2K plus installation.
:GetMoney:
With a tune there are gains - more with bigger turbos but it definitely helps spool and responsiveness.