Shop near Tahoe area to install SPD Downpipes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ba123

Reaction score
Heading to Tahoe and would like this done while there. Can’t do this near home and it’s not a CA Raptor anyway.

Any shops near Tahoe that can/will do this right? Any advice?

Thanks!

2018, 82k miles, getting the P0420 error so need a cat anyway according to dealer diag.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was getting the P0420 code too, Ford said I needed new cats. I actually got the SPD downpipes. About 15k miles after installing the SPD downpipes I got the same P0420 code, I thought WTAF? I thought there was no way my stock cats went bad at 15k miles, now the brand new ones too? NO WAY. I used cataclean for 2 consecutive tanks - after the 2nd treatment, no more error. I plan to run this shit as maintenance a couple of times a year. You are supposed to put a bottle in with around 4 gallons in the tank - what I did was put 2 bottles in with about 8-10 gallons in the tank, run the shit out of the truck til it's almost empty. Fill up as normal, run until about 8-10 gallons again, add 2 bottles and do the same shit. Maybe worth a shot before dealing with changing the DP's... FYI the link below is for ONE bottle, they make a 6 pack, and I know it ain't cheap but seems to work.

OP
OP
B

ba123

Reaction score
Crap, I'm so glad to hear you say that. I have many more miles (82k) but these days cats should go to at least 150k unless you're running bad gas and I run super.

I actually ran one bottle of that stuff when the light came up a month ago and it went away but maybe I need to run it again a time or two and see. The dealer did tell me that the cat is not clogged and it's just that it's not heating up as quickly as it should so shouldn't be any risk of hurting anything.

I did find a way to get the downpipes if I go that route and my only worry was this road trip to Tahoe but again, if they aren't clogged I guess I'm ok.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

ba123

Reaction score
So, I ran the cleaner and light only stayed away for a very short time this time. I thought maybe it was caused by my constant very short trips and not letting the truck warm up since my commute is only .6 miles, but on my trip to Tahoe, the light never went off and P0420 is still active.

So gonna get the downpipes and hope they take care of it.

Anyone know if I need any other things on hand for this job other than what’s included with the downpipes?

Thanks!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I ran the cleaner and light only stayed away for a very short time this time. I thought maybe it was caused by my constant very short trips and not letting the truck warm up since my commute is only .6 miles, but on my trip to Tahoe, the light never went off and P0420 is still active.

So gonna get the downpipes and hope they take care of it.

Anyone know if I need any other things on hand for this job other than what’s included with the downpipes?

Thanks!
I had to run the stuff for 2 tanks, cleared the code 3x then it never came back. The code won't clear on it's own, you have to clear.

OP
OP
B

ba123

Reaction score
How do you run it for two tanks…you mean right at the end of two tanks or you used more bottles for two tank fulls?

I cleared the code the first time after it was a non-active code and it eventually came back and then I cleared this last time while it was still active and it came back a couple days later.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you run it for two tanks…you mean right at the end of two tanks or you used more bottles for two tank fulls?

I cleared the code the first time after it was a non-active code and it eventually came back and then I cleared this last time while it was still active and it came back a couple days later.
get to just under a quarter tank of fuel - put 2 bottles in, run truck for 100 miles or so. fill up. at a quarter tank again, put 2 more bottles in, run for 100 miles. Keep clearing the code, after the 2nd time you use 2 bottles it should not come back.

OP
OP
B

ba123

Reaction score
Ok, I’ll try it. Just bought 4 bottles of this overpriced crap…$117. I guess it’s worth a try.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

ba123

Reaction score
Just an update that this never worked for me. I also tried some stuff I had to feed straight through the intake and no go, so I'm working on getting the SPD downpipes that I wanted in the first place since there is prob something wrong with that cat anyway. Tired of looking at that CEL.