GEN 1 Shock rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get my shock rebuild stuff from here... https://www.schmidtyracing.com/Ford...Bypass-Shock-Seal-Kit-p/o-sk-fox-ford-rap.htm. I order kits that have Schrader valves. Then just tap the shock body. pretty easy. My truck now has Schrader valves for the set on the truck and the set I have on the bench. I really don't know how you can fill them with the stock plugs. and not loose a little.
I ordered the kit awhile ago, changed a set of Gen 1 shocks, did my front replacement Gen 2 shocks..... then I somehow lost the frikin' kit. Now, I'm waiting for a new 7mm drill bit & the 0.303 tap & die set.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered the kit awhile ago, changed a set of Gen 1 shocks, did my front replacement Gen 2 shocks..... then I somehow lost the frikin' kit. Now, I'm waiting for a new 7mm drill bit & the 0.303 tap & die set.
7mm? drill bit? 0.303 tap? The kit I use is a 21/64 drill bit and a 1/8-27 NPT tap. Now I don't know if this works for gen 2 if that is what you are rebuilding. If the hole is smaller than 21/64 I don't see why you couldn't use the Schrader from Smitty they sell them individually.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you looked at shock seals for the seal kits? Thats where i get my seals and i use Kartek for the valves, but i use the RPG valves so i don't have to drill and tap the shock. If you don't use the schrader valves you need a needle and then you fill it like a basketball. Problem with that is there's no way to know exactly how much pressure you put in. I have to crank my regulator up to almost 300psi to get 200 in the shock and i always check it with a gauge when i'm done. Also, as the nitro tank gets empty, do you need to increase the regulator pressure? IDK schrader valves are the ONLY way to do it in my opinion.

If anyone knows how they do it on the Gen 2 shocks, i'd love to see that operation. Gen 2 only have a screw and an O-Ring so there's no way to put a needle in there and fill. I'd love to see the contraption that fills the shock and plugs the hole without losing any pressure.
I have looked at shock seals. The kits are close in price to Smitty. (like 1 buck different) I looked in the beginning for the valves you didn't have to drill and tap. I never found them. but drill and tap is actually easy. I was intimidated at first. but a few min and they'er done. A little Teflon tape you are good to go.