Shark fin seal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked up a little windshield ding on Tuesday. A backdraft from a semi picked up a half sheet of OSB from the lane in front of me and bounced it off my windshield. Broke the passenger side rearview mirror and whacked the shark fin. I can see an air gap under the shark fin gasket and I worry that water will get in there if it rains. Has anyone messed with it? I'm heading out on a trip and don't have time to drop the headliner. I was thinking a quick bead of RTV around it might be the ticket for now. Thoughts? Should I leave it alone? TIA Here are a few pics for you entertainment...

1715263604245.jpeg

1715263634254.jpeg

1715263672216.jpeg

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a little windshield ding on Tuesday. A backdraft from a semi picked up a half sheet of OSB from the lane in front of me and bounced it off my windshield. Broke the passenger side rearview mirror and whacked the shark fin. I can see an air gap under the shark fin gasket and I worry that water will get in there if it rains. Has anyone messed with it? I'm heading out on a trip and don't have time to drop the headliner. I was thinking a quick bead of RTV around it might be the ticket for now. Thoughts? Should I leave it alone? TIA Here are a few pics for you entertainment...

View attachment 453732

View attachment 453733

View attachment 453734
Not sure what you are worried about. AIM for the center.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with a bead of latex caulk. Should peel off easily and it matches the paint.