SDHQ Frame Reinforcement Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
DSC02351.jpg

SDHQ Ford Raptor Rear Frame Reinforcement Kit

Cost: $100

Time: 20-60 mins

Difficulty

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SDHQ revised their frame reinforcement kit for 2013 Raptors due to the thicker frame walls. In fact, that tidbit of information led to the discovery of the manufacturing change. If ordering, SDHQ will ask the year of your truck for that reason. The fit and finish of the 2013 revised reinforcement kit is excellent.

The installation is straight forward. You will need:

3/4" socket
9/16" socket
Hook tool (optional)

1. Jacking the truck up and removing the tires is optional in my opinion. I did the install with the truck on the ground.

2. Insert the large gusset plate through the oval opening on the inboard side of the frame rail. SDHQ already has great pics so I didn't bother taking any more.

- On the driver's side you will need to unclip the brake lines from the plastic retainer to allow room for installation.

DSC00854_zps2c9e174a.jpg

- Insert the large gusset plate in to the frame. There is an arrow cut in to the plate which should point toward the front of the truck. The "flat" side of the plate needs to be down. The nuts on the gusset plate will face inboard toward the oval opening.

DSC02336.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

As has been said before, it can be a little tricky to get the large gusset plate inside the frame rail if you don't have it oriented properly. Rather than try and explain, I'll save you the frustration and made a quick video showing the way:

SDHQ frame kit - YouTube

- Once you get the large gusset plate inside the frame, just reach in and hold it up so you can insert the bolts from the outboard side of the frame through the slotted holes. Secure with 3/4" socket.

Torque to 90 lb-ft

DSC00853_zpsd43b9763.jpg

3. Install the smaller gusset plate to reinforce the large oval opening.

- Insert the parallelogram shaped plate in to the oval opening with the nut side facing outboard.

DSC00855_zpsd7500f08.jpg

- Use your finger *or* a hook tool to hold the inner piece in place while you help thread the bolt.

DSC00857_zps475c8223.jpg

DSC00859_zpsc67376c3.jpg

- Insert the bolt through the oval shaped gusset plate, in to the inner plate and seat in to the opening like so:

Torque to 40 lb-ft with a 9/16" socket. You may need a 9/16" box wrench if clearance with the exhaust is an issue.

DSC00860_zps829a0f94.jpg

Done!

I think in conjunction with the "reinforced" 2013 frame, the SDHQ Frame Reinforcement kit and rear 3.0 ICON bypass shocks (coming soon!) I have a bullet proof solution for moderate to heavy offroad use. If I am able to bend my frame after all is said and done, I would hope my spine is still in alignment too!

This kit from SDHQ is a must have in my opinion if you're not doing a full bump stop kit. Even for the casual weekend warrior, $100 is a small price to pay for a little peace of mind. Adding a 3.0 shock can only further help your chances of trouble free Raptoring...again if you don't want a bump stop kit.

The kit its self is nicely powder coated, and comes with all necessary Grade 8 hardware. No drilling or bed removal necessary.

Thanks SDHQ

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Dirt cheap insurance if it works. But I can't quite get my head around how it will help. This is effectively reinforcing one vertical wall of the frame with a thick plate, correct? And the frame bending scenario is that the axle is striking the bump stop with sufficient force to exceed its yield strength. Would it have issues with ripping the bolt heads off...or the mount shifting enough to still allow the frame to bend?

(I'm neither a metallurgist nor a mechanical engineer...as you can tell.)

Are these in widespread use, and if so, has anyone bent a frame with one...and if so, what'd it take to do it?

I'm not attacking this product...I hope it works, because if so, I'd like to order one. :)

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm sure the bump stop cup could technically still deform with the kit installed but in reinforcing the giant holes in the wall of the frame you almost definitely raise the threshold of what it will take to bend.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
One more question....is Ford's reinforcement on the 2013 Raptor only on the side of the frame that the SDHQ plate reinforces, or did they increase the thickness of all four sides of the frame?

Edit: and can these be retained if I later add an RPG or Outlaw bumpstop kit (though they'd probably be pointless at that time).

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
One more question....is Ford's reinforcement on the 2013 Raptor only on the side of the frame that the SDHQ plate reinforces, or did they increase the thickness of all four sides of the frame?

Edit: and can these be retained if I later add an RPG or Outlaw bumpstop kit (though they'd probably be pointless at that time).

it appears that they reinforced all 4 sides yes. and no i don't believe you can retain this with a full bump kit because they use the same mounting holes.