Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't miss my 2014-2019 tundra ownership days. Engine sounded good, but it was so slow running 35s.

JBT9

Reaction score
I have had a 2018 and now have 2019...nothing and I mean nothing drives like a Raptor. I'll be getting rid of the 19. I love that truck and it still brings a smile to face when I drive it and look at. Nothing comes close to a Raptor. But...after 60000 miles they begin to break and Ford service departments are not the best (if you are under warranty its where you have to go). Tuttle Click had my Raptor for 95 days earlier this year for a diff leak that they fixed incorrectly and just last week my Body Control Module went out, so I am playing the same game with the service department (they promise it wont be 90 days but wont commit to a time). Also had a solenoid go out last year, and of course the phasers...all in all its just too much. Which sucks because I love the truck.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 days for a diff leak...holy smokes. Im guessing there was a backordered part, or did they literally wait 90 days before they started working on it?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a 2018 and now have 2019...nothing and I mean nothing drives like a Raptor. I'll be getting rid of the 19. I love that truck and it still brings a smile to face when I drive it and look at. Nothing comes close to a Raptor. But...after 60000 miles they begin to break and Ford service departments are not the best (if you are under warranty its where you have to go). Tuttle Click had my Raptor for 95 days earlier this year for a diff leak that they fixed incorrectly and just last week my Body Control Module went out, so I am playing the same game with the service department (they promise it wont be 90 days but wont commit to a time). Also had a solenoid go out last year, and of course the phasers...all in all its just too much. Which sucks because I love the truck.
They don’t “begin to break” at any mileage, that’s simply a ridiculous anecdotal claim. Raptors are F-150s at their core; which are some of the most reliable and longest lasting vehicles on the road.

Obviously your dealership of choice is not competent if they can’t fix a simple differential leak, which can literally happen to any make or model.

What happened to the BCM? They don’t just fail for no reason, it’s typically either water damage from clogged sunroof drains (environmental debris) or a leak from an aftermarket windshield, or aftermarket electrical modifications.

JBT9

Reaction score
Yes, I agree totally anecdotal based on the 3 in my neighborhood. I should have prefaced that. 100 percent the service dealers here in OC have issues fixing Raptors. I was warned by my local off road shop about this but when you are under warranty you have no choice. They fixed the diff leak when they replaced the Cam Phasers, but when I got the truck back there was a pinging sound that was a loose ball bearing in the diff (that was the 90 days...short parts, diagnosis etc). Fairly sure the tech put the differential back together out of specs.
The BCM was corrosion from water damage, but I don't have a sunroof and it is the original window. No idea what caused it.
Also had a solenoid go out on one of fox shocks.
I bought the truck certified from a Ford dealer but who knows its true history, and I realize that dealers will sell just about anything. Again, nothing comes close to a Raptor in driving or looks. Just bad luck with this truck and the service dealers :(

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think “reliability” on the early Gen3’s needs to account for Covid era build quality, but the formula hasn’t changed much mechanically from the gen2, that being said just hit 77k miles on my ‘20 gen2 I bought brand new & I’ve had ZERO issues. Been a little ahead of the curve on preventative maintenance but nothing crazy. Changed the plugs, amsoil 5w30 every 5k, rear diff every 15-20k, front diff/t-case every 30-40k, trans fluid/filter done @ 70k, has been flawless….other than a rear shock just starting to buzz at startup sometimes probably solenoid going bad, but wouldn’t consider that a reliability issue just a wear item.

Other than the cam phaser issue that still isn’t that big a deal & has since been phased out (no pun intended) & isn’t a concern for the Gen3’s I’d say this drivetrain is very robust/reliable. I also had a 2018 Gen2 I put 45k miles before getting T-***** & that was essentially trouble free too (& I walked away w/o a scratch got broad-sided @ 40-50 mph by a mid-size sedan)