Rebuilding OEM shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pleasure! I've looked at that setup for myself. It's a pain in the ass hauling my shocks to my buddies Yamaha dealership to use their nitrogen. Going to tackle the front rebuild soon and try to use some schrader valves on the fronts. Just need to check the clearance between the lower control arm and the schrader. After I'm done messing around it'll be time for some Icon's!

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside of the typical maintenance on the truck, as the truck gets up in miles, in my case +50,000, is this something that would bring life back into the shocks and bring the ride closer to what it was when the truck was new?

If so, is this something that can be performed at my local shop?

With that amount of miles I would do a complete rebuild, not just fluid or gas. If your going to keep the factory set up, it would be well worth it.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a less expensive tool for you to purchase if you want. Basic and will get about 13 - 17 fills with a needle if you are not rough on it. We supply an extra so you have back up.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/...N-Nitrogen-Charge-Port--Needle-Fill-Tool.html

If a shock has lower miles you may be able to get away with just refilling your shocks with nitrogen, but you should not be losing so much as to be out. You have another issue if that is the case. When your talking about shocks with 40k plus miles and that includes offroad miles....rebuild them. Nitrogen will not repair seals, used up oil, or repair performance loss on a well used shock. The guys at Kris @ Shockseals.com and Kurt @ DC Shock Service are both great people that are out to help and not just take your money trust me.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
We have been able to rebuild both rears in about 5hrs start to finish with a 45min round trip to the local Yamaha dealer for nitrogen.

I finally ordered some new Fox 2.5 caps that will accept a schrader valve. Once installed my rear shocks are now easy to recharge with nitrogen. I ordered all of my rebuild parts from Jason at SDHQ. One gallon of Fox red oil, rebuild kits, Fox 2.5 schrader caps and schrader valves.

My pleasure! I've looked at that setup for myself. It's a pain in the ass hauling my shocks to my buddies Yamaha dealership to use their nitrogen. Going to tackle the front rebuild soon and try to use some schrader valves on the fronts. Just need to check the clearance between the lower control arm and the schrader. After I'm done messing around it'll be time for some Icon's!

It would be very awesome if ya'll had a write-up showing how ya'll did all of this....

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still waiting on slow ass amazon to deliver all the final pieces (fox safety needle and shock gauge)....

Time is running out and I am going to be beyond pissed if I paid for faster shipping and it doesn't make it before TRR!

-Greg (aka squatting dog)