Raptor Values May Plummet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I might have to switch to gas again instead of TRX owner's tears after they trade them in on a prius.

Sethrad

Reaction score
Nobody on this thread buys a Raptor for fuel economy. Think about the lunacy of this line of thinking. Are the values of any truck coming down in price? How about high performance sports cars? Any one of you considering taking your Prius offroad or overlanding? Anyone care to trade in your Raptor for…hmmmm…how about a Subaru Forester (Ok, my college daughter owns one, but seriously) or Outback? Someone please delete this thread before we all get sick. When this geopolitical crap is over (or sooner), maybe this administration finds some intelligence and realizes that domestic energy policy is critical to national security (noting that the previous administration made this a national priority). This, too, shall pass.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the majority of potential buyers don't care that much about gas price, but certainly not all. There are certainly people that in the 'barely afford a Raptor' rather than 'comfortably afford'. For those people, a Raptor purchase will become out of reach, at least for a short time.

That has to mean that Raptors are slight less desirable, negatively effecting prices. I also think that a lot of people will overreact and go buy an overpriced EV or hybrid, thinking that they will be saving money. But that will not result in a plummet of pricing.

In fact, I'd say the scarcity of Raptors for sale, popularity of off road vehicles, and the reputation of reliability and holding value will far out weigh any pricing concerns and interest in other vehicles. This will have an effect, but we won't be able to see it.

speedracer00

Reaction score
I disagree with the idea that people who pay 80k for a truck don't care about gas prices. I think that statement makes the assumption that people who purchased Raptors can fully and comfortably afford them but I'm here to tell you that many Raptors sit in driveways of people who can just barely afford the payments. People are notorious for over leveraging their credit for stuff like this. Yes we don't buy the trucks for fuel efficiency and with low gas prices nobody cares about mpg; but everyone has a limit where the running costs exceed the perceived value for a luxury item. I think there are far more people who buy and drive these trucks at or close to their personal budgetary limits than one might think and for that reason, with prolonged rising gas prices, people are going to be pushed out of the Raptor market until gas is affordable again. Net effect the supply will go up and the demand will decrease thereby reducing prices of Raptors (and other expensive vehicles with high running costs). The chip and other supply shortages is definitely a factor which will slow down the decline of prices because supply of new raptors is still very limited compared to demand but I'm not convinced that this is going to counterbalance the drop in demand forever; maybe for a short time. In my opinion the good people on this forum do not represent the market at large but rather a very small sub section of real enthusiasts who will hold on to their truck until it's pried from their cold dead hands and not a minute sooner :893karatesmiley-thu

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion the good people on this forum do not represent the market at large but rather a very small sub section of real enthusiasts who will hold on to their truck until it's pried from their cold dead hands and not a minute sooner :893karatesmiley-thu

Not sure I'd agree with that. The population of Raptor owners is much larger than this forum, obviously, but I think it's closer to a cross section than a sub section, at least in terms of finance. Yes, it's mostly going to be enthusiasts, but I don't see a reason why someone who's barely making payments on the truck wouldn't be interested in the forum. It's filled with tips and tricks with how to get the most out of your big investment. If you're well off and the Raptor is just one of many toys for you, or just a show piece, then it seems like you'd be inclined to spend less time here maybe.

Indeed, many of the new folks on here will state that they've wanted a Raptor for a long time and never had the means to get one. And even in this post, there seem to be a decent number of people that believe gas prices are an issue. Not at all the majority, but the balance of opinion is about what I'd I expect from the general population.

But that's just an opinion.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean, FRF has a diverse cross section of enthusiasts from Jen Juan bitter clingers to guys like @MDJAK who, if the day ends in the letter “y” is looking for the next Raptor ;-) and everywhere in between.

Only the new truck buyers or really recent buyers paid 80 large. The Jen Too was topping out low to mid 70’s the first couple of years. Used buyer’s aren’t dropping that coin. The reason I mention this is we have some users who are campaigning the Raptor as a multi-use truck. Some work, some play, some commuting and they’ve adapted that truck into their particular lifestyle. Maybe some Jen Tres owners in that boat too.

So yeah, high gas prices like we have now are a thing and will become a bigger thing the worse they get and the longer it lasts.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean, FRF has a diverse cross section of enthusiasts from Jen Juan bitter clingers to guys like @MDJAK who, if the day ends in the letter “y” is looking for the next Raptor ;-) and everywhere in between.

Only the new truck buyers or really recent buyers paid 80 large. The Jen Too was topping out low to mid 70’s the first couple of years. Used buyer’s aren’t dropping that coin. The reason I mention this is we have some users who are campaigning the Raptor as a multi-use truck. Some work, some play, some commuting and they’ve adapted that truck into their particular lifestyle. Maybe some Jen Tres owners in that boat too.

So yeah, high gas prices like we have now are a thing and will become a bigger thing the worse they get and the longer it lasts.

So a bigger thing that lasts longer...is bad?

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rising gasoline prices could cause Raptor values to plummet - other trucks and SUV's with low fuel economy also. It looks like gasoline is headed for $6.00 / gal due to the war in the Ukraine and they aren't likely to come back down any time soon. I wasn't planning on selling anyway, so I can live with that. I also have another car that I can drive when economy is the prime concern. That could be good news if you're looking for a Raptor but not so good if you're selling or it's the only thing you have to drive.
I think this is fake news! I don’t care If gas goes to 10.00 which it is. People will pay to play. I do drive
Mine daily and it will hurt some but what can you do? I know the trx will go down! It is fugly!