Raptor Dealers Selling Near Invoice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know of quite a few az/nv people who have bought in CA but had the keys turned over at the border. Probably not practical from as far inland as you are buying. Others may have other ideas.

tretopflir

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mom worked at dealer for many years.....reg and tax in state you live.....buy from cali nevada tx nev reg.....not a big deal...your dealer should know this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Just verified with her,, You pay sales tax where you live....cal dealer can collect and send tax to NV....the you driver to NV and reg...must have sales tax paid or you pay when reg(private party)

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

I bought mine 2 counties away from me, paid my sales tax not dealers 9.5 at dealer...8.5 where i live

ecb12

Reaction score
so my 2014 raptor should be here in the next few weeks and my dealer just informed me I had to pay CA sales tax on the car eventhough I'm not registering/titling the car in CA... I would be title/registering the car in NV and have purchased cars from CA dealers w/o any issues.

Dealer is stating FORD won't allow them to sale the truck to out of state buyers and I have to pay the CA sales tax... I know they are dicking with me so I can back out of the sale so the can sale it for more but any ideas how I should pursue this? The difference if I register in NV vs CA is about $3500...

If you buy from a CA dealer you have to pay CA tax... unless you have it shipped out of CA. You can't take delivery in CA. At least that's my understanding.

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've purchased many cars from Cali and understand the rules. Car has to be shipped out of CA and a bill of lading needs to be provided to the dealer so their asses are covered. All taxes and reg are paid to the state the car will be physically in, which mine is NV.

My only issue is that Morgan Hill doesn't want to and won't allow me to pay for my raptor unless I pay the Cali taxes. which is ridiculous since it won't be registered in CA. I called Ford, ca DMV, and nv DMV and basically they are stating its up to the dealer...

Nice way to F a buyer after waiting 6-7 months since they know it won't be a loss on them either way. If I back out of the sale they'll be able to sale it for a lot more than invoice...

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've purchased many cars from Cali and understand the rules. Car has to be shipped out of CA and a bill of lading needs to be provided to the dealer so their asses are covered. All taxes and reg are paid to the state the car will be physically in, which mine is NV.

My only issue is that Morgan Hill doesn't want to and won't allow me to pay for my raptor unless I pay the Cali taxes. which is ridiculous since it won't be registered in CA. I called Ford, ca DMV, and nv DMV and basically they are stating its up to the dealer...

Nice way to F a buyer after waiting 6-7 months since they know it won't be a loss on them either way. If I back out of the sale they'll be able to sale it for a lot more than invoice...

I just ordered on from Morgan Hill as well. From what I understand, I will pay CA sales tax as they will not deliver it to NV. But licensing/registration will be done in NV. I bought a Tundra from CA and it was the same way. I paid CA tax and they gave me a one day "moving permit" so I could take it across the border and register it NV. Based on the cost of my truck NV tax (7.725) vs CA (8.75) tax is only about $600 difference.

I don't think they can make you license the vehicle in CA if you live in NV.

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my 2014 raptor should be here in the next few weeks and my dealer just informed me I had to pay CA sales tax on the car eventhough I'm not registering/titling the car in CA... I would be title/registering the car in NV and have purchased cars from CA dealers w/o any issues.

Dealer is stating FORD won't allow them to sale the truck to out of state buyers and I have to pay the CA sales tax... I know they are dicking with me so I can back out of the sale so the can sale it for more but any ideas how I should pursue this? The difference if I register in NV vs CA is about $3500...

I purchased a Hummer H! Alfa from CA and only paid Floridas tax, not CA!

Baddoug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. Guess I didn't get a "great" deal. I paid sticker price but that was better than most dealers in my area that are charging $2000-$5000 over the sticker price. Anyway I probably would've paid "whatever" to get my RAPTOR!! Haha.

Mr Jurassic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for going to steven wylie at port lavaca ford in port lavaca, tx .... I dont work for them but i got a thank you from them. So i know some guys are getting MSRP priced trucks and they arent ******** people.
Just saying thanks!