Payload Capacity Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to determine the payload capacity of my 18 Supercrew Raptor for a small travel trailer.

Sticker on door says cargo and passenger capacity is 1048lb

2018 Ford Towing guide says Payload 1200lb

Towing guide states payload is calculated by GVWR(7050) - curb weight(5697)=1353lb

Is there a difference in the cargo payload on the door sticker vs 2018 tow guide vs calculating gvwr-curb weight from my other door sticker?

ThanksView attachment 166234 View attachment 166235

20210321_092936.jpg

20210321_092256.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your sticker is the final authority. If you have a moonroof, for example, it reduces your payload. Notice that maximum weight per axle ... you absolutely cannot put 1200lb in the bed and expect the rear springs to survive. Weight has to be fairly evenly distributed. Calling this truck a "four guys and a cooler full of beer" truck is pretty accurate. I got some gravel today. 560lb between the rear axle and the tailgate dropped the rear by 2", giving me a half inch of sag. I was afraid to put more in, so I made two trips for my half ton. You need to keep your tongue weight low enough to keep the truck level and high enough to keep the trailer stable. If you can't do both at the same time, get a weight distributing hitch.

OP
OP
Y

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. 1200lbs is with no options, then add tail gate step, bed liner, roof etc gets me at 1048lb.

Looks like it's time for a superduty. I'm reluctant to sale my raptor, it's so much fun and fits my garage. On the bright side, I probably could get close to what I paid for it with only 9k miles in this market.

Thanks for the help.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I thought. 1200lbs is with no options, then add tail gate step, bed liner, roof etc gets me at 1048lb.

Looks like it's time for a superduty. I'm reluctant to sale my raptor, it's so much fun and fits my garage. On the bright side, I probably could get close to what I paid for it with only 9k miles in this market.

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a super duty for a small travel trailer. The Raptor should tow one just fine. Unless your idea of small isn't very small.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't need a super duty for a small travel trailer. The Raptor should tow one just fine. Unless your idea of small isn't very small.

I agree. The OP should have no problem with a "small" utility trailer. Most trailers have a TW of 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer when loaded correctly, so anything less than 4000 lbs would be fine for our trucks.

I have pulled a utility trailer a couple of times without issues. The 3.5L HO engine can certainly handle it.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A regular F150 will tow way better than a Raptor. No need to jump to a super duty.

OP, your door sticker is accurate. It is customized to the options on your specific truck.

I'm unsure if OP really needs more towing based on the usage he described, but if he does, I agree a regular F150 is the way to go. I would go with a 21 with the hybrid powertrain. Almost as powerful as a Raptor. No need to sacrifice the ride quality of IFS for a Super Duty unless more is needed than he's describing.

OP
OP
Y

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. The OP should have no problem with a "small" utility trailer. Most trailers have a TW of 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer when loaded correctly, so anything less than 4000 lbs would be fine for our trucks.

I have pulled a utility trailer a couple of times without issues. The 3.5L HO engine can certainly handle it.
We were looking at a 22ft trailer, but the tongue weight on most of these are 600-640lb. With a Weighsafe WD Hitch at 135lbs and propane tanks and battery add another 125lb, I'm over 800lb tongue weight with zero passengers and cargo. Probably just going to get a F350 Tremor 7.3 and get a little bigger trailer under 8K-10K.

Thanks for the info.