Payload Capacity Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pat Gould

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but isn't payload capacity and towing capacity two separate things? I know these trucks aren't really made for towing, but man do they tow. Like I said, I put air bags on mine, can't really feel much of a change in the ride unloaded and air at the minimum (5 psi). Once I load my RZR Pro XP 4 on the trailer, I air the bags to 45 psi and brings it back up to normal ride height. It has about 500 pounds of tongue weight (measured by the weigh safe hitch I have) and it pulls great at 75 mph.

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are separate numbers but also kissing cousins since the same tractor is moving the towed unit. The sticker on the door jamb is gospel and should be adhered to. In case of accident lawyers may use them against you like a 2x4. Unrelated generally to what the local coppers may be fussing about if you got weighed for some reason.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, 1048lb payload is the lowest I've seen. Some of the changes for '19 must have actually increased the payload slightly because my '19 has every option and has a payload of 1079lbs.

Attachments

• 930751F6-2DEB-46D7-8803-998A3DC5016D_1_105_c.jpeg
    930751F6-2DEB-46D7-8803-998A3DC5016D_1_105_c.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 5

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when I posted this we had hauled a XLR Boost 21, but that one actually went back to dealer and refunded, as it literally was coming apart as we drove it down I-90.
Now have a Momentum 21-G, which is yet heavier by a few hundred pounds. It drives fine, albeit with a good weight distributing hitch attached. I just upgraded the rear springs (already had planned and ordered them before we bought a toy hauler), but just got around to putting them on, Deaver +3 HD with Camburg drop shackles. It rides better in the rear with the new springs, and pulls good.

Bitsniffer

Reaction score
Well, when I posted this we had hauled a XLR Boost 21, but that one actually went back to dealer and refunded, as it literally was coming apart as we drove it down I-90.
Now have a Momentum 21-G, which is yet heavier by a few hundred pounds. It drives fine, albeit with a good weight distributing hitch attached. I just upgraded the rear springs (already had planned and ordered them before we bought a toy hauler), but just got around to putting them on, Deaver +3 HD with Camburg drop shackles. It rides better in the rear with the new springs, and pulls good.
The Momentum 21-G shows to be 9495# max. Dry weight is 6370#

dboat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am trying to resurrect this thread to get some advice. Am considering a truck camper that weights in just above 400 lbs.. Once I add in other items tbd, will I need to add air bags or leave it stock?