**OPINION NEEDED*** A-pillar vs Behind Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MDRAPTR

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the years and several Raptors, I have done lots of light options. I had dual behind the grill light bars and a-pillar mounts on my first Raptor and have scaled down with each following Raptor. Between behind the grill or a-pillar I prefer behind the grill. I prefer the cleaner/stealth look of behind the grill and while you lose some lumens because of the grill blockage, its projection is also lower to the ground and provides better close street/trail visibility than a-pillar mounts which can cut off close ground level lighting. I also like how the behind the grill lighting projects in front of the truck, while a-pillar lights project over the hood.
This is kinda how I’m feeling

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the only time the a-pillar lights are good is when there is no dust/snow flying.. otherwise they are hurting your nightvision..

im going to change my setup and move everything below the hoodline, and add 4 more XL80s, or LP4s on the bumper..
DC.5.22.22_1678_50 (2).jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the only time the a-pillar lights are good is when there is no dust/snow flying
Definitely
otherwise they are hurting your nightvision..
well, pretty much any light source does that, regardless of where they’re mounted.

For sure, you fire up the pillar lights in dust, snow - hell, heavy rain and you’re creating a super bright wall of light in front of you.
I’ve staggered mine by upfitter / height by now and if it’s high dust, etc, I’m only using the low mounted lights.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely

well, pretty much any light source does that, regardless of where they’re mounted.

For sure, you fire up the pillar lights in dust, snow - hell, heavy rain and you’re creating a super bright wall of light in front of you.
I’ve staggered mine by upfitter / height by now and if it’s high dust, etc, I’m only using the low mounted lights.

maybe the wrong term... you're wrecking your long range night vision that is being lit up with near field, bright obstructions...

they are only good for clear night driving.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
maybe the wrong term... you're wrecking your long range night vision that is being lit up with near field, bright obstructions...

they are only good for clear night driving.

aha! I think I understand, and agree. if you your not in wide open terrain, the splash back from the ... I’ll call them “non spot pattern” beams is definitely going to interfere.
It took me a while to get to where my Rap is at from a lighting perspective. I think I would like one more set of spot ambers down low if I’m honest.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
aha! I think I understand, and agree. if you your not in wide open terrain, the splash back from the ... I’ll call them “non spot pattern” beams is definitely going to interfere.
It took me a while to get to where my Rap is at from a lighting perspective. I think I would like one more set of spot ambers down low if I’m honest.

i have spot pattern lenses with amber covers and i barely use them.. hopefully moving them below the hoodline will help..

i think 4 white and 2 amber is what ill run, and id like to change the 7 squadrons out for an OX6 20" or maybe a laser combo bar if the money is right..

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
i have spot pattern lenses with amber covers and i barely use them.. hopefully moving them below the hoodline will help..

i think 4 white and 2 amber is what ill run, and id like to change the 7 squadrons out for an OX6 20" or maybe a laser combo bar if the money is right..

I have a S8, combo in yellow where your Squadrons are. If I didn't have the LP9s I would want more light output. OX6 would be better than the S8. I am running the XLs on the a-pillar in spot.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had XL80's on the A Pillar and hated them. The reflection off the hood was awful. I think Nex bought them from me when I sold them. After that, I had S8 behind the grill and loved the setup. With the Gen 3 I went with Onyx6 laser hybrid lights. Holy crap, these things are awesomeIMG_0449.jpegIMG_1097.jpeg.